Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anderson windows

Posted by anitachi123 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 1, 11 at 17:27

Hi

We are in the midst of building a house, and had anderson woodright windows installed a few months ago. Just a few days ago I opened and shut them for the first time. When I shut the window there was a long, reverberating twang coming from the window. Then I went around to all the windows and they all made the noise. The builder said The Anderson salesman said this is normal. Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anderson windows

Yes, it's normal. If you look along the outer part of the sash, you see a fine, lets call it rope. You'll see it go up into a hole in the frame. There is a spring loaded pully in there that when you raise the window, recoils the rope onto the pully. This keeps the window up. When you lower the window, the spring gets tighter and makes the twang noise. With the window down, if you look at the sash and pull on the rope, you'll see it is taut and recoils back up in there when you let go. This takes the place of the old time sash weights that used to do the same job. You'll see this on each side of the window where the window tracks up along the frame.

o

Look at the window sticker to make sure the windows are the 400 "Woodwright" model made by the Andersen Corporation for new construction and not a replacement window or a knock-off.

o

My Andersen windows have the "twang" also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here