Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

what kind of sawzall to buy

3katz4me
9 years ago

I don't need anything very sophisticated and with a power cord is probably fine. I've always kind of wanted one of these things as I think it might be handy. I now have a need to cut out a piece of sheetrock in my ceiling so I'm thinking now is the time to buy one. What brand/model would be a good basic one to buy that's under $100.

Comments (12)

• jreagan_gw
    9 years ago

Depends on how much you'll use it. An inexpensive one from a place like Harbor Freight (get yourself one of their 20% off coupons) would be fine for something you'll use once or twice.

I have a Dewalt corded. The blade release is much nicer and lets me position the blade in each direction so I can get nice and close with a cut. It is also variable-speed.

Unless you are going to be chewing through big wood or metal, the 10amp version is probably OK. The corded 10amp Dewalt variable-speed is less than $80 at the big blue or big orange stores.

Careful cutting ceiling with a saw. Never know when you'll cut a wire, copper pipe, or pvc drain. Cut some small holes first and look around with a mirror & flashlight.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I've never been disappointed by a Bosch power tool. You can get an 11 amp model on Amazon for about $100. Spend the money. There is nothing worse that going for something slightly cheaper and being reminded with less-than-excellent performance every time you pick up the tool (the voice of experience talking here).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch RS7 reciprocating saw

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i appreciate the collection ...

but cutting sheetrock does not really require power tools ... lol ....

i have a dewalt cordless ... the best garden tool i ever bought... once i further invested in a tree saw blade ....

it might not be the best tool.. for overhead work ... unless this is just an excuse to slip it by momma... lol...

ken

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha ha - I am momma and I just want one! DH has kind of put the squash on it now as he says they have one in the shop at his company that we can borrow. (He does not work in the shop and isn't into power tools). May not be the best tool but whatever that is I doubt we have it. Thanks for the word of caution on cutting into the ceiling. I was thinking about that. I'll carefully poke a smaller hole and take a look around. We have a leaking shower above and plumber wants me to figure out what's leaking before he will come out. So far nothing short of cutting a hole and taking s look has gotten to the bottom of it.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Many good corded ones on the market. I have stopped buying Bosch, DeWalt and Milwaukee corded power tools and started replacing everything with Hitachi once they wear out.

The Hitachi CR13VBY is one of the best sawzalls I have ever used it does not vibrate like others and has a speed dial to control the blades speed.
    I to have a DeWalt DC385K 18 volt cordless. It is one of the best all round saws that you can get. Like Ken mentioned. You are not stuck dragging a cord to do other work such as tree pruning or under house work

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've had my Milwaukee Sawzall (yes,only Milwaukees are Sawazalls) for over 30 years and it runs as good today as the day I bought it and it hasn't been babied or not used commercially.

The Harbor Freight "Sawzalls" are so cheap as to be disposable. I spend more on a pack of blades than those saws cost.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

If you want a tool that is useful for a number of tasks of the kind you might run into, a better choice for you than a Sawzall may be a Dremel Multi-Max Oscillating tool. I have a lot of power tools and I bought this because I thought it might come in handy occasionally. However, it is so versatile that I am using it for more and more things. One thing it does superbly is make cuts into sheetrock. I can easily control it so it only penetrates a hair beyond the back side of the sheetrock so I never have to worry about hitting something hidden in the wall. And the fine line it cuts means very little dust generation. It does many things other tools can't do at all -- or at least as well -- like controlled plunge cuts with no splintering; or flush cutting through a door jamb exactly at floor level; or shaving just a tiny bit off the end on a piece of wood that got stuck going into place; or sanding into corners. Take a look at the short video in the link below and you'll see what I am talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dremel Oscillating Tool

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

For your exploratory surgery, I'd recommend a drywall keyhole saw. You really don't need a power tool, in fact you're more likely to get a cut (or nicked) wire or pipe thrown into the bargain.
    I use a Porter Cable tiger saw that I've had since '97. It's been used on virtually every jobsite I've been on since then, and still works.
    The Bosch is also a very nice sawzall,
    Beware of sawzalls in general, they are dangerous even when not plugged in, with the exposed, long razor-like blades ("Ugly" blades are scary).
    Casey

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Just get one of these. Drywall is easy to cut. No need for power tools.
    It only costs a couple of bucks.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay - I like that little saw blade. I'll see if DH has access to one of those and if not I'll pick one up.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

Milwaukee Sawzall here too.
    second one in 25 years.
    first one still works, but much easier
    to change blades in newer one.

agree that sawzall is beyond what you
    need for this exploratory opening.
    still be careful sawing into the sheetrock
    don't do damage you can't repair.

best of luck.

• Vith
    9 years ago

A corded recip saw wont cost much at the entry level. Menards Tool Shop series or Home Depots Ryobi series will work fine for many things. The hand drywall saw is even cheaper.

If you want to start building a cordless set and dont need heavy duty, go with the M12 series from milwaukee, tons of tools for those batteries and the tools are lightweight and easy to use. If you need heavy duty go M18 series.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource