Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Repair Loose Banister

Posted by peaches20 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 10, 07 at 16:51

The banister at the top of my steps has become loose. It wiggles a good bit but has not come loose the whole way.
The banister is around carpeting so I can't see the wood underneath. Should I just put nails at the base and try to hit the wood? Any suggestions wold be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peapches

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Repair Loose Banister

In your situation, I would not use nails to repair the loose bannister. I would pull back the carpet a bit, and look at the fit between the bannister and the landing. It might be possible to inject an epoxy paste where the two parts are joined. When the glue has cured, the bannister should be secure.

o

seen this on the HGTV show Don't Sweat it

Here is a link that might be useful: fix a loose banister

o

I've looked at the banister again which is at the top of the steps. My mom grabs hold of it to pull herself up and I think this is why its becoming loose. The main post is what's real wiggly and the post that goes into the wall is also wiggly.

I will remove the carpet to see what's going with the bottom post. Any ideas on how to secure the post that's in the wall?

Thanks for the help.

Peaches

o

There are any number of ways your newel post/railing may be fastened, and each could have a particular remedy; until you get to the heart of the problem, we are limited in the accuracy of the advice we can give. In any case, nails will be of no help whatsoever. You must pull back the carpet to determine what's gone wrong with the original fastening method.
Casey

o

Many banisters are held together with draw bolts. When they become loose, it is very simple to fix.

Wherever there is a loose joint, look around the adjoining pieces for a small round wooden plug. (about the size of a dime or nickel, depending on the size of the bolt) In your case, look around the base of the post. There may be a draw bolt holding it to the floor.

Simply pry out the plug being careful not mar the wood too badly, then insert the proper size socket and tighten.

Replace the plug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other home repair tips

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here