Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

Help me ID problem. Residual? water drip from shower faucet

mangomoon
14 years ago

A few months ago I posted a problem that may or may not be related to my current issue. Back then, I could hear a drip through the wall half hour or so after using water. Knowing for a fact that no pipes exist behind this wall, I was told on this forum that it was just residual water that makes a loud ping within the PVC pipes, but that it was likely I had no leak. I still hear it but not as frequent, so I am not worried about it. Several months later, all of a sudden I will see water dripping from my shower/bath tub faucet for about 10-15 minutes, then it stops and the shower has not been used as of the night before. Why is this happening? My shower does have a shower system with an attaching hose, but I release all water in the hose via the valve, and the center knob between the hot and cold water to make sure it all got out, but I am surprised as to where this is coming from and it is is residual? It is not a leak from valves that need washer replacement because the fixtures and the entire shower ensemble are less than a few months old.

It doesn't happen all of the time (at least for now), but once a day or once every other day for several minutes. If a pipe had a leak, why would it come back into the tub instead of elsewhere? FYI, this is an older trailer mobile home.

Any clues as to what might be my problem?

Comments (3)

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

Hi Mangomoon, Does the mobile have galvanized 3/4" water lines? Typically in mobile homes up to and through the 1960's. Another question is what is your climate zone. Do you have freezes at night?

• mangomoon
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sierraeast,

My particular mobile (large trailer w/out the hitch if you will), is probably an early to mid 1970's. The reason I do not know exactly is because I only rent it and I cannot go out and hire my own plumber, which I wish I could do. I am pretty much stuck with the MH park's Manager who isn't a plumber by trade, but is assuming it is residual.

In answer to your other question, I am on the coast of California, right at Point Conception where the climate is mild, but oceanic, with marine layer some of the days that lifts at noon and windy most of the year. The water in my birdbath will freeze if the temps at night go below 37 degrees. All repairs are done with PVC pipes, but the pipes that travel around the MH park could be galvanized, but I am not totally certain. This may happen once every other day or so, but not all day. The first time I heard it it was 2 a.m. and the last time any water shower or otherwise, had been in use was around 9 p.m. that evening.

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

I'm not going to be much help to you. We have a similar situation with a bath faucet and possibly residual dripping somewhere in the bath area that I feel is due to freezing.

You might run this by the plumbing forum. Be patient, they are typically slow to respond over there but there are pros that often give great advise.