Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollyhocks_gw

dbl garage man door keeps blowing open & draft between doors.

hollyhocks
10 years ago

we built a new house. we installed double metal garage doors (one side is locked into place with a top latch that engages in the top door jamb). Two things I need help/advice. 1. there is a 1/16" gap between the doors that lets a big draft come into the house. our contractor installed 1/8" thick insulation tape on the inner outer edge of the door (still leaks air at the bottom and at the door latch). 2. Now, on really windy days the locked and closed door blows open! (we have a blaring alarm system and dogs/cats so this is a major problem!) Factors (?) the door knob latch is 1/2" (probably standard), -1/16" gap between doors leaves 3/8" or less sitting in the strike plate. the doors are hollow(!) so the lock goes into a strike plate hole that goes into thin air. any ideas on how to fix this? I'm guessing my contractor installed the door wrong (too wide apart?) and gave us the wrong door (suppose to be insulated). we've also been having problems with many other exterior doors deadbolts & door knobs not lining up so you can only use one or the other!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks