Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Wall Leak HELP!

Posted by claga (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 16, 12 at 15:35

Hi,
We had an exterior electrical outlet that was not weather tight. I have since weatherproofed it with exterior chauking. Thankfully I was able to open the interior wall of a closet to dry out remove the botton 1 foot of insulation which may have gotten wet from the leak. I scrubbed the wall studs and sheathing area with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to kill any possible black mold. I did see a slight white discoloration/stain on the backside paper of the wallboard. I have wiped down the backside paper with the same solution. My question is should I replace the wallboard? Or will I be okay to replace the insulation and close up the wall?
Also there are three 2" round black spots on the hardwood flooring in the closet? Can there be mold under the hardwood flooring? If so should I rip it up?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Wall Leak HELP!

How long was it leaking/wet? 50/50 solution of water and bleach also is a mold killer. If it hasn't been exposed to leaking and/or has been wet for a considerable amount of time, I wouldn't worry too much about the floor. I would let everything dry out well before covering anything up.

o

Look up mold remediation with borax. Spray the wood with that before you button it up.

Since it is an interior closet wall, I 'd replace the drywall. It does not have to look pretty and it will be good practice for some other project that might be forced on you.

Black spots might or might not be mold. Wood flooring can turn black from water exposure only. I think I would let sleeping dogs lie in that case.

o

Let it dry, check for mold, close it back up.

Folks seem to have lost sight that houses are built out in the weather.

It rains and snows on and in them before they are dried in.

o

And a decent builder won't let it get covered up until the moisture content is at a resonable low. Cover it all up too quickly, which is all too common these days, and you get a lot of headaches!

o

The sealant you fixed the leak with will eventually fail and leak again unless you check it often enough to be able to replace it before that happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here