Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexander3_gw

Clogged drain mystery

alexander3_gw
12 years ago

Hello,

I cross posted this to the plumbing forum as well:

This morning my kitchen sink clogged up. I removed the disposal and the trap, and snaked the drain with a 25' drain snake. This is several feet beyond what is needed to reach the main drain line in the basement, and the resistance I meet with the snake as it goes through bends in the line confirm that I have reached the main drain line. However, it still won't drain. What's strange is that the upstairs bathroom drain, which ties in upstream of the kitchen line, has no problem. Here's a schematic to clarify:

To summarize, the upstairs bathroom drains just fine, the kitchen drain is clogged, and I've snaked the kitchen drain to the main drain pipe. I don't understand how this can be, what am I missing?

Alex

Comments (10)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

You might check the vent that is off the kitchen area to see if it has been obstructed.

• sdello
    12 years ago

if you continually run the upstairs does it make the kitchen overflow? If the mainwere plugged, it should. If it doesn't then the problem is still in the litchen line.

Like sierra said. Check the vent stack

• alexander3_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input. I was able to clear it using a drain cleaning bladder. I think the snake must have been getting coiled up in the pipe, and not really making to the main line after all.

• teeboo
    10 years ago

What is a drain cleaning bladder. I am having the same problem/

• teeboo
    10 years ago

What is a drain cleaner bladder?

• homebound
    10 years ago

For kitchen sinks first I check the trap and make sure it's clear. Then reassemble it. Next, if required, I fill the sink with hot water and plunge it (good to keep a "clean" plunger for sinks only). Once I get it draining somewhat, I follow with lots more hot, soapy water.

This post was edited by homebound on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 8:52

• John Tebbs
    10 years ago

teeboo, a drain bladder is a rubber bladder with a hose fitting on one end and a small hole in the other. You connect a hose to it, and have the hose connected to a water supply. You place the bladder in the drain line you want to clear, (they come in different diameters) turn on the hose, and the bladder swells to seal itself in the line, then pulses of high pressure water clear the line.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Drain bladder, learn something new everyday, thanks.

The very hot soapy water trick works as well.

• randy427
    10 years ago

Drains are often plugged up with a 'soft clog' made up of grease, fibrous material and general gunk which a standard snake will punch through without dislodging. The clog will then seal back up when the snake is withdrawn. A rotary snake, either manual or electric, is better at clearing the clog, especially when the tip is run through the clog multiple times, though kitchen grease, which should never be put down a kitchen drain, can be a real pain.

• randy427
    10 years ago

Drains are often plugged up with a 'soft clog' made up of grease, fibrous material and general gunk which a standard snake will punch through without dislodging. The clog will then seal back up when the snake is withdrawn. A rotary snake, either manual or electric, is better at clearing the clog, especially when the tip is run through the clog multiple times, though kitchen grease, which should never be put down a kitchen drain, can be a real pain.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler