Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftman Garage door opener

Posted by jthepaintman (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 14:32

My door won't close. I push the button and the door begins to close then the chain tightens up and the door reopens. When I disconnect the door and close it then reconnect the door it opens fine. It just won't close. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftman Garage door opener

I have a 2-3 yr old craftsman 139.53985D with a problem that is similar to many I see here, but with a different twist. Part-way up or down, it stops - no blinking lights anywhere. Usually, hitting the button again allows it to complete the cycle, but sometimes, the unit goes completely dead - no lights at all - as if the plug was pulled or the power goes off. But that's not the problem, b/c after 3-5 mins, it comes back on without touching it in any way. Is there a heat sensor that could be shutting it down - I'm not noticing any straining or the like, and it often happens on the first push. I also do not see any sudden jarring during the run. The complete shut down is a pain! Any thoughts?

o
RE: Craftman Garage door opener

jthepaintman - if when the door reopens the main light flashes 10 times it is a door sensor problem. Make sure the sensors are pointed at one another and the small light on each one is lit and not flickering. If the main light isn't flashing when the door reopens try adjusting the 'down force' which is on the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go. Increase it and try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here