Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why would electric outlet not work anymore?

Posted by diddlydudette (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 14:26

I just moved into this house a couple months ago. I have my treadmill out in garage. I finally had time and was going to start my exercise routine back up and went to workout on treadmill. I plugged it into outlet in garage and it started back up and then it died. I plugged water sprinkler system into outlet and that didn't work either so I went inside to circuit breaker and tripped those. It's still not working and is dead. Is this an easy fix or do I need an electrician to come fix outlet. What could problem be. It worked prior to me trying to plug treadmill in. It was the only thing plugged into that outlet.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why would electric outlet not work anymore?

It is highly likely that a GFCI is in the line between the panel and the dead receptacle outlet. A GFCI is likely to be at a another receptacle location or built into the breaker itself. If it is a receptacle, it probably is in the garage. Find the GFCI and push "reset". That treadmill may continue to trip the GFCI.

o

thanks bus driver. You were exectly right.

I went to press reset in spare bath and outlet in garage started working again and again you were right. It tripped off again (twice).

Does this mean I can't use treadmill in this outlet then?

As far as I can see it's the only outlet in garage and I was hoping to use treadmill out in garage. This sucks. :-(

Does this mean most outlets in house won't support treadmill either?

Thanks!!

o

"Does this mean most outlets in house won't support treadmill either?"

It depends on the amps drawn by the treadmill and other demand already on the individual circuit.

FYI and future reference. These issues are normally discussed in the Electrical Wiring Forum...

TJ

Here is a link that might be useful: THS Gardenweb / Forum List

o

Thanks. I'm new here so will go to electricla Wiring Forum. Sorry, didn't know better, but thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here