Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftman 1/2 HP(Chain) Garage Opener help

Posted by wtbowen01 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 27, 09 at 14:05

My Garage Door has been working for 9 years, all of a sudden when I hit the button to raise the door, the door raised approx. 18 inches and stops. If I help pull up the door past this 18 inch stop point, it works fine. The garage door works fine coming down. I tried increasing the up force but it did not work. Any ideas?? Is it a torque problem?? Any ideas on repair costs?? If it is going to cost me over $100, I assume buy a new opener-

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftman 1/2 HP(Chain) Garage Opener help

First thing you want to do is check the door springs. Sounds like one has broken. The next step would be to remove the cover and check the drive gear. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor.

o

Thanks for the information. I will check the drive gear, I don't see any door springs.

o

It has door springs. Check above the door with the door closed.

o

Adjusting the springs above the door is NOT a DIY job. It should be tagged as such. Use a garage door repair service.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here