Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davetz

Insulating drafty kitchen corner and locating air infiltration

davetz
14 years ago

Hi-

I had my kitchen remodeled this summer with very good results- we are very happy with the look and feel, but in the process, it seems air was somehow allowed to enter in one croner--it's balloon framing and the foundation is about 14" stacked stone and mortar (1908 construction). The 2X4 exterior walls were thoroughly and carefully insulated with R15 fiberglass and any obviosu holes/penetrations/window/door framing were filled with expanding spray foam before drywall. In one corner the floor is very cold on cold winter days. Is it more likely that air is infiltrating where the drywall meets the floor under the cabinets or that the cooling is ocurrent beneath the floor, between the joists? Any thoughts on a good solution now (I can still take toekicks off and access space beneath cabinets and I have access below floor in basement.

Thanks for any input! Much appreciated.

Comments (7)

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

is this area on an exterior wall?
    I wouldn't think removing the toekicks would allow you
    much of a view...what can you see of the floor below from in the basement?
    is this cold area near plumbing,electrical, stove vent or gas lines?

• davetz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the response and consideration! It is an exterior wall. I was only suggesting removing the toekicks because it seems somehow the air is coming in from floor level--perhaps between the floor and the vertical drywall (on the walls). Most of the floor is visible from the basement, except those 14" or so around the perimeter of the kitchen which are obscured by the foundation, which is rather thick at approx. 14" of stone.
    The corner has a gas line but that is only routed through the wall to the basement--it doesn't penetrate the outside of the house. It is not near the stove vent or any exterior electrical penetrations.
    Other thoughts? Thanks for any insight!
    Dave

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

The space inside of kitchen cabinets are essentially small, unheated rooms. When you open the cabinet doors, the cold is tangible. Room heat never gets to replace the heat slowly being lost to outside. Given a long cold stretch the entire corner will get quite chilly. Leave the doors open overnight and see if it makes any difference.
    The cold air from underneath could be remedied by a good caulking or foaming. The way my cabinets were built, there is a 1" gap between the tops of the toe kicks and the bottom decks of the cabinets. If you had the same situation, that large opening would need to be sealed.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Searching for air leaks is the only purpose I have for cigarettes.

The smoke is just enough to be visible and will move withthe slightest air flow.

I have an electronic gizmo I built years ago that I use most of the time, but in an emergency I will by a pack of smokes.

• energy_rater_la
    14 years ago

incense also works brickeyee..and smells better
    (try Gonesh #'s 8, 10 and 12..love that stuff!)
    and can you tell me about your gizmo??
    email me if you want to share. maybe you could
    patent it and call it some name that doesn't
    sound like gizmo! LOL!

OP...try brickeyee's method, let me think a bit more
    about a diy solution, its the weekend and I plan
    to relax.... I test homes with a blower door
    to find leaks. If you choose this route
    you will be amazed at the things you learn about
    your home's air infiltration. You may get tired of
    working a caulk gun...but it will show you areas
    that you need to seal, and would never have thought of!

best of luck.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"incense also works brickeyee..and smells better
    (try Gonesh #'s 8, 10 and 12..love that stuff!)
    and can you tell me about your gizmo?? "

Ut is a 12 V lamp filament (you just break the glass and remove it) in a bridge oscillator.
    You adjust one arm of the bridge so that the circuit barely crates ticks every few seconds in ambient air, then start moving the filament end around.

The slightest change in temperature will cause the frequency to increase, and if it is a large change the circuit produces a buzzing sound in the speaker.

It is not patentable since it is an obvious design to any electrical engineer and similar devices have been published for at least 30 years.

• davetz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, to all responders, I certainly thank you for the great ideas. I will try the incense/smokes isolation solution and take it from there. Certainly an area where it seems a good foaming would help if nothing else.
    Is there any magic to doing this in winter (greater temp differential between inside and out, does draft infiltrate more?) or can it be done just as well when the weather warms up? I have had on my list of things to do to get an energy audit for a while and maybe this will be the nudge i need.
    Thanks again for the great ideas!
    dave