Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kntryhuman

Replacing double pane glass in exterior door

kntryhuman
10 years ago

We have (5) 8' Mahogany French Doors with 10 panes in each. The manufacturer did not seal the panes properly and they started fogging up about 3 months after purchase. The company we bought them from will not stand behind them.

Question: Can the individual panes be removed and replaced with 1 large pane of insulated glass without compromising the integrity of the door?

Question: If so, where could you purchase this type of glass? Our local door companies want $2,500 per door to replace the glass! That's more than double the cost of each door.

Comments (11)

• klem1
    10 years ago

The glass will be expensive but glass and mirror companies do this every day so that is your best source. ALL door glass must be either tempered or safty glass by federal regulations. Those glass types can not be cut to size so every replacment is by special order. Be sure to mention you need 5 of 1 size when comparison shopping because that makes both material and labor a little cheaper than a single. You should ask about optional processes ( it is invisable) that can be used during fabercation to minimize radiation passing through the glass unless you need the solar heat during cold weather. Simply because you had to ask tells me you have little to no experience with glass replacment,so don't even think of buying these for a diy project. They are extremly heavy and require specialized tools just to move across the room,not to mention transport and install.
    Now let's talk about fun stuff and saving money. If your budget will not alow doing it and you are crafty,I have a suggestion. Michaels,Hobby Lobby and Ebay offers etching material that can turn plain glass into a high end window/door. And if you were only able to own a mansion by being thrifty,here is a downright frugal way to salvage the glass. The afore mentioned sources as well as Home Depot and Lowes offer a huge catalog of faux stained glass overlay material that is easy to do a good job with. I have salvaged many clouded double panes using both approaches that owners liked better than when the glass was new. I suggest you choose a modest theme due to the large amount of glass you have. A colorful or intrate desighn that looks great as an accent can turn when a large amount is in one room.
    I like these projects for novices because unlike painting kithen cabinets or a piece of furniture, good results are atainable with no prior experience plus the latter is reversiable.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

No you cannot change it to one pc of glass. Find another glass company as that is an asinine amount of money even sight unseen.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know nothing about glass.

There have been 2 companies that came out and gave us estimates. Both were almost the same price to replace all the panes.

It seems we're just going to have to bite the bullet and buy new doors.

• klem1
    10 years ago

"It seems we're just going to have to bite the bullet and buy new doors."

You will recieve better warranty and service after the sale buying doors manufactured by a brand name company and sold by local dealers.
    It is one thing when somone like yourself complains on a public forum that a one horse dealer refuses to stand behind thier product,compainies like Anderson,Pella,Jeld-Wen and others will intervene if nessary to keep customers happy. If your doors were not manufactured by the installing company,you should contact the manufacture.

• mewoodyrich
    9 years ago

Interestingly I have the same problem with four 18-lite exterior doors that are 32x96. Cost to replace each door slab (door only, not frame) with single glazed, tempered glass will be approx $350 + tax, plus labor to add hardware, hang, and paint. A local glass repair company quoted me $100 per pane to replace glass.

I am going to remove one of the foggy glass double panes and properly size to obtain quotes for replacement glass that will fit in the existing doors. If that is not cost effective I will simply replace door slabs.

If I knew the name of the door manufacturer I would be contacting them to address the issue. Unfortunately, I don't. I had luck with windows that did the same in the home I purchased. I found the ANSI standards sticker on the windows, traced back who manufacturer was and had windows replaced. Cost was $100 install per window, but much cheaper than new windows.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

"Question: Can the individual panes be removed and replaced with 1 large pane of insulated glass without compromising the integrity of the door? "

Maybe (depends) but if you had the skill level to do that sort of thing you would be able to build new doors from scratch.

With hand tools.

• sdello
    9 years ago

Failure of the seals in an IGU after 3 months is completely unacceptable. Especially in a total of 10 new doors. Unless you bought them off the back of a truck and paid cash to someone named Rocko, there should be a trail leading back to the manufacturer.

I'd be calling a lawyer.

• mostrazavi
    7 years ago

I have a wooden French door. One cell out of all frames has been damaged and need to be replaced with a double pane 12"*12" glass. How can I do that?

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Should be a wood moulding applied on the inside and glazing compound. Remove both, remove the glass, inset new glass, reinstall new glazing compound and wood moulding.

• Marcia Karasek
    3 years ago

Responding to Mostrazavi a s Millworkman, I have the same question — starting with where to purchase a 12x12 (for us it’s a 13x13) internal glass unit (IGU) to install in the French door where one glass was smashed. Do it take the door off and bring to a glass shop? Order and install with my handyman?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

@Marcia Karasek, a local glass shop could come to you and replace it onsite or they could sell you just the IGU in the size you need for you to replace it. No need to bring the door to them they should be able to send someone to measure.