Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roofer or handyman?

Posted by mary_md7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 09 at 13:33

We have water marks at the juncture of an exterior wall and it's ceiling, now running down one wall a bit. The first call I made to a roofing company, the person said "that's a classic sign of detatched gutters, you don't need a roofer, call a handyman."

So, do I call a handyman or another roofer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roofer or handyman?

A busy roofer might not consider this worth his time and effort to look at and perform what is probably an easy fix. A handyman who has experience with roofing and other types of exterior repairs should be able to help you.

o

First take a good look at it. Is there ice with water ponded behind it? Is the gutter or facia loose? Are there shingles missing?

Most roofing problems are obvious but you have to get up there and look at it.

o

Number one---no one---and I mean NO ONE---can diagnose a water leak over the phone or the Internet. The only way is to see---and physically test(if necessary) the problem area.

The least expensive solution of which I can think is to hire a reliable experienced handyman to diagnose the problem.

Otherwise, find a reliable roofer who will come out and look. The problem there is determining a reliable roofer----there are a LOT more fly by nighters than experienced diagnosticians. It is not difficult to slap opn shingles---I taught total no cluers how to do that for Habitat for Humanity volunteers in less than an hour on a weekly basis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here