Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrs11_gw

Asphalt driveway

JRS11
11 years ago

I originally though I would tag onto another thread but realize I may get little notice that way. My home is 53 years old, not sure how old the driveway is, it was not done right, the blacktop is too thin, the garage concrete is as well but that I will patch...so here goes.

I am now in the process of trying to get quotes (off season) for a driveway (asphalt). So far the 2 quotes I have gotten are over $1000 apart, one wants to use 6-10inch base the other 8-10inch, one wants to use 3 inches of asphalt (does not specify about a base layer of asphalt over the stones) the other a 1 1/2 inch base layer and a 1 inch finish layer. I don't know if it is best to use a bast layer (recycled material) then a finish layer of just go with a finish layer all the way though. One wants to wait 2 weeks after laying the base, the other wants to do the job all in one day. Think I am confused? I am trying to get more quotes but this being January and the work cannot take place of tearing the driveway up till end of March early April here in the Northeast I suspect most of these buys are just kicking back.

Comments (4)

• harry_wild
    11 years ago

Do you have the funds to do a concrete driveway? It about $10K! There is almost no maintenance and snow will melt away quickly when it warms up!

With blacktop; you have to resurface it every 5 years or so!
    It also develops cracks too.

I have installed one 15 years ago; and I appreciate every day!

• JRS11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here in the northeast I have read that concrete can be an issue due to the cold weather in winter and cracking. Blacktop is not perfect I know, I also do not intend if things work out to be in this house within 5 years. I have lived here for 12, the driveway was not great when I moved in and had been done very cheaply, maybe an inch of blacktop, so whatever I do will be better...so I guess the answer is no, I don't want to spend 10K but I will ask these guys for quotes just the same. Thanks

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

I can tell you this: The most important part is having a solid, compacted base of class 5 limestone, or something like that. The base needs to extend to the very margins of the driveway. The base is the support for the asphalt topping.

• JRS11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I have a company coming that I trust, I know the owners and have used them before. My garage floor is terrible as well and I may do that at the same time (concrete). Not sure how it was done but the floor is about 1" of concrete, has wood planks under it and has more cracks than one could imagine. I don't know how the inspector did not catch it and I did not (12 years ago). So this will probably be done at the same time, same company if possible. I think if I do it that way I may get a slight break. The garage quote I got today was $2700 but he said he thought he could get it approved at $2.3K, I know $2K is probably realistic, and with the driveway asphalt I will see what I can do, but I have to use a company I feel good about. This garage door, opener project has really grown to be overwhelming and now I think I am looking at a total of $7-8K