Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecurious1_gw

Deterioated Decking on Roof

thecurious1
10 years ago

Hi Everybody-

Its been a while since I have relied on the Garden Forum but I hope that you can help me now.

We had some wind and hail damage on our roof, we received an insurance claim and have contracted with a roofer to replace the roof. We have retained a roofer that our neighbors used and deemed reliable. We are negotiating the repairs and the one sticking point is, "deterioated decking". He wants us responsible for the cost however he cant give us a finite amount until the shingles are off, we want to provide an alotment but one that is capped in order to limit our exposure. We have a skylight in the roof that has leaked in the past and I suspect that he is trying to limit his exposure for whatever repair is associated with that The money for the decking is external to the price of the roof and depending on the need could surpass what we were given for the claim. Originally I felt he was just trying to include more dollars.

But as we have moved through the negotiations, the only real sticking point is this, "deteriated decking". He is quoting a repair cost of $3.00 per linear foot. Is this good?, bad? My gut is telling me to cap this exposure to us. Any suggestions on understanding this or quantifying this would be helpful. the contractor has indicated that he will take pictures of what he deems necessary to replace and is OK with me having a 2nd GC take a look at the designated boards before they are removed.

I would appreciate any consul on how to move forward. Thanks again.

Comments (18)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

How do know the deck damages not concurrent with the roof damage?
    Why wasn't the insurance estimated conditional upon the potential of "unforeseen" decking damage, from the roof damage?

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Unless you can know the unknown, any repair or renovation cannot be "capped". And you're not being at all fair to the roofer to try to make it his issue to absorb the costs for. If you have more damage to the decking than can be seen from the attic, then you're just gonna have to replace more decking than you may want to. It's the ONLY way to do the job correctly.

The other issue is, if this is not due to the recent damage, you may have a ventilation issue with the attic which is rotting out the decking from the interior. You do have soffit vents and ridge vents, correct?

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

We have a skylight in the roof that has leaked in the past and I suspect that he is trying to limit his exposure for whatever repair is associated with that...

which is fair to him. if you KNOW the skylight
    leaked...then you know there is damage to the
    roof decking. to into the attic & take a look.
    water damage will make darker areas on the
    decking. and quite frankly...one doesn't know
    the extent of the damage until it is uncovered.

no one has xray eyes!

He is quoting a repair cost of $3.00 per linear foot. Is this good?, bad?

that depends upon thickness of plywood, his cost
    to get on site & cost to remove & install.

amount of felt to cover all of roof wouldn't change.
    new drip edge..all should be included in price.

best of luck.

• dkenny
    10 years ago

the only problem I have with the roofer..sure they're trying to limit there expense not covered..I fixed roofs..it can be a can of worm..and fast.

what gets me is by lineal foot? roof sheathing is replace by sheet..generally 4x8
    might be $20/30 for sheet..location is critical..around my parts they can and do use 1/2 sheathing..snow bound areas..5/8..3/4..but its per sheet..not lineal foot?? unless you have 1x6 roof decking..old school stuff..

hey..just my 2 cents

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Or the OP meant square foot!

• thecurious1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everybody and thank you for the fast response. Part of my reluctance is that the, "deteriorated decking" issue came up after the price had been agreed upon. it was one of those, .....Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about this........ The state farm adjuster and the contractor went up on the roof to see the what the damage was. They both walked the roof. There was no mention of, "deteriorated decking" in the adjusters report that the claim amount was based on.

dkenny, I asked him specifically why equivalent width plywood couldn't be used. He said that the spots could be all over the roof and that it was more expensive to cut the wood than it is to buy the decking. This is a 1922 bungalow with 3 layers on it. It just occurred to me what he is talking about. The long boards.

Everybody, I'm not trying to stiff the contractor. I'm just trying not to be taken for a ride.. That's why I asked for some perspective from you. I've never replaced a roof before and have certainly never heard of, "deteriorated decking".

snoonyb- the answer to your question below is that I didn't know I could. This damage was wind and hail only. I will call the ins. agent tomorrow to see if this is some thing that can be passed through.

"Why wasn't the insurance estimated conditional upon the potential of "unforeseen" decking damage, from the roof damage?"

Thanks to all for keeping me grounded. At least now, I have a better idea of what I'm looking at.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

You need to get some referrals on this roofer. If several people tell you he's fair, sign the deal as he wrote it. He's barely covering his costs at $3.00 per square foot.

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

3 layers and deteriorated decking isn't worth "repair". That's a tearoff and replacement. If you don't do that now, you'll do it soon. A 3rd layer doesn't end up with a lot of life.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Live also raises a good point in the most if not all roofing manufacturers recommend no more than two roof's if I am not mistaken so that should definitely be stripped in my mind as well.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"I asked him specifically why equivalent width plywood couldn't be used. He said that the spots could be all over the roof and that it was more expensive to cut the wood than it is to buy the decking. This is a 1922 bungalow with 3 layers on it. It just occurred to me what he is talking about. The long boards."

This paragraph says that you still do not know what type of material the decking is, so, is it 1X6, 1X6 T&G, 2X6 T&G, 1X8 shiplap, plywood, or.....?

Wind lifts and displaces, hail melts and water penetrates, often wind driven, damaging the underlying decking.

Is the roofers quote to remove all three layers and replace, or just repair?

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

Hmmm I've never seen 3 layers of shingles.

tearing it all off would be best option.
    then plywood can be cut for all areas needing repair.
    felt & drip edge replace & shingling can begin.

$3.00 per sq ft is fair. just break it down.
    time to order & get wood in site. time to cut
    haul up on roof & install. $3.00...very inexpensive.

best of luck.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

No way in hades would I *ever* patch a roof with 3 layers on it! That's one more than the house should ever have. Whoever did the shingle over the third time should be shot. It ALL needs to come off.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Here, on the truly left coast, they allow 3 layers of comp.

In the OP's favor, while he has joined the group that didn't post here seeking advice prior, and to his credit, he is also not seeking absolution.

Refreshing!

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

I imagine 3 layers of shingles with zero possibility of snow is equivalent to 1 layer of steel roofing and a foot of wet snow. The second scenario is very heavy, probably heavier than 3 layers..

We can't estimate what we can't see. Most likely t and g boards, if they are 3/4" $3.00 at square foot the roofer looses money especially for complex hips and valley.

Lets assume the nearly 100 year old sheathing needs to be totally replaced and get a price. The insurance company will never give you any credit for old damaged sheathing. A good contractor will be able to tell if the damage is recent rot or old.

• GHGmill
    10 years ago

if the adjuster did not note problematic decking, maybe a new look by the adjuster will help...or maybe get another quote from a different contractor.

• dkenny
    10 years ago

I understand now while the $3 per lineal foot..
    my guess would be 1x6 or maybe 1x4 roof sheating..or $6 or $12 per sq foot..
    3 layers of roofing..the disposal cost alone would be hugh..
    80lbs per square(nominal)..TIMES 3!!!

I cannot imagine try to make a patch look good with 3 layers..its hard enough to make a patch look good with 2 layers..

-dkenny

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Tear it off and fix what needs fixing. The price seems fine, you can renegotiate if it turns out to be cheaper and easier to re-deck the whole thing. You don't want to cap the amount of repair and leave rotten wood that will result in leaks later. -- It will be much more expensive later on.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio