Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedyguy

Hole in Aluminum Siding

SeedyGuy
10 years ago

Hi,

I noticed a few days ago a small round hole, the size of a dime, way up at attic level, in the side of my house, which has aluminum siding. The sun was shining on it just right, and made a shadow, so it caught my eye. I don't have a pic of it yet.

The hole may have been caused by roofers about 6 months ago, but I never noticed it until now, so who knows. Maybe a meteorite! Ha!

I noticed the siding has weep holes, which is good.

My hope : Maybe I can leave the hole alone, and not stress out over it, since any water that gets into the hole will just drip out the weep holes, as intended.

The hole is only noticeable if you look for it, so it's not really a cosmetic concern.

I did go into the attic and check around for any evidence of an object entering through the attic wall, and didn't see any.

Since it's way up there on the attic level above 2 floors, I'd need a long ladder (expensive to rent or buy) to even get to it, therefore the hope that I can just leave it alone and let the weep holes handle any water that gets in.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Sounds like a bullet hole. If you have generous overhangs, I doubt you'll get much water penetration that high up.

• randy427
    10 years ago

Mine was a bullet hole. I got some 'Liquid Metal' (it's really more of a putty) at the hardware store and patched the hole. A little touch-up paint and it's not to be seen.

• User
    10 years ago

A hole the size of a dime is not a bullet hole---unless someone is shooting a .50 caliber or larger monster.

If the hole is above a window, any moisture may wind up on the framing above the window. Which, over time---and the amount of time is pretty much undefinable----may cause a problem.

Another concern is insects. Bees/wasps could easily use the hole as an entrance.

Might be worth the peace of mind to hire a handyperson who has the necessary ladder.

• SeedyGuy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm uploading a pic of the hole. I leaned out the second story window to take it. For reference, each of the siding panels is 4 inches high. The hole is in the sixth panel above the window, on the far left of the pic.

• SeedyGuy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And one more !

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

The siding is there to protect what is behind it from the sun and other elements. With aluminum, the biggest problem with plugging it with some putty or other goop is that differential expansion rates will make it work loose. If it does not look bad, I'd be more inclined to use some sort of stainless steel washer affixed through the hole on some sort of stainless-head anchor. That would allow a little sliding to occur while keeping the hole closed. Maybe the anchor could just be a stainless screw going through the washer into a short metal bar behind the siding.