Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front door windows

Posted by sf_treat (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 28, 10 at 12:15

I just had a new Simpson door delivered to my home today. The hardware isn't here yet, so it is just in my living room. We live in a colonial house, so I was excited to get a traditional door with bullion glass. It was even used as an example in the Simpson catalog. There are at least four pictures of the bullion glass, all of which make it look as though the glass is etched. So, the door arrives and the glass is not etched. I also don't see the concentric circles one sees in bullion glass. In fact it just looks like two, well...er..two big naked boobs at the top of my door. Sorry if I offended anyone, but that is the only way to describe it. The glass in even convex to the point. There is no way I can hang this front door. I like the quality of the door, though.

So the store is being nice, so far, seeing as I took the picture with them to order to door and said I wanted it to look exactly like the picture. They are offering to have replacement glass ordered and professionally installed at their cost. What do you think? Will that lessen the integrity of the door at all? The order clearly states no returns on special orders, which I understand, but this looks nothing like the picture. What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front door windows

Replacing the glass might void the warranty of the door manufacturer, but if the glass outfit is reputable and experienced in replacing the panels, especisally knowing how to properly seal them, I'd go for it. This outfit is willing to work with you and has made a decent offer, imo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here