Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chimney Repoint Question

Posted by goldensmom (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 12:11

My 30 year old brick chimney is deteriorating and had some companies come in to get estimates.
The 1st company wants to repoint whole chimney, replace brick on top 4 layers and right side, insert new crown est 2,400. My chimney is huge 3 stories, 2 flues.
The chimney has come apart from the house approx. 1-1/2 inches.

Pretty much getting the same from 2 other companies. The difference between the 2 companies I am considering is the 1st wants to use "coil flashing" from the top to bottom along side of the chimney versus the other company wants to use wood molding to match the house. This is for cosmetic appearance only.
I still don't understand the coil flashing when I feel that the wood trim would look so much nicer. Does anyone have experience as to the difference the two would make?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chimney Repoint Question

The issue I would be concerned about was the 1 1/2" separation from the house. Did anybody address that?
Ron

o

Yes the separation issue was taken care of by a structural engineer.

o

hi dear,
This is great to know that you are looking for this thing. I think you nee for a long chimney. our all friends will give you awesome suggestions..

thanks!!

________
Down Pillow

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here