Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garage door opener

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 11:46

So the garage door opener stopped working. I took it apart, cleaned the chain, did maintenance, put it back together. Now it works but I must have done something wrong because it doesn't stop when it get to the bottom it just goes back up. It will stop if it hits an obstacle so it is not a safety hazard, it is just annoying because I have to wait and watch and quickly press the button again to stop in order for the door to be shut.
Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garage door opener

I doubt that I will be able to diagnose the problem. Have you recognized that you did not mention the brand nor the model of the opener? Any model numbers on it? Those who might know the answers will be in a better position to do so with more information.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Mon, Jan 14, 13 at 16:10

o

Sorry bus_driver, you are right, and egregious omission on my part. I am at work now so can't get the model number but it is an older Wayne Dalton.

o

Our garage door has done that when the sensor lights get misaligned or a wire on them comes loose. Our sensors are on each side near the floor of the garage. I assume that's were yours would be to. Try adjusting those.

o

The current issue of the family handyman has an article on common garage door openers repairs and maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here