Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insulating a basement

Posted by star9763 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 11:46

Can someone tell me if it is worth it to insulate a basement of a house. I have read that it is a waste of money. is this true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insulating a basement

That depends on the use and design of the basement.

Insulating a walkout used as a living/play space makes sense.

I have a fully underground basement(with a cellar type entrance into my wood shop) that does not need insulated, it is quite cool all summer and 72 degrees in the winter.

I finished a huge basement in a friends house and insulated part of it for better, more even temperature control.

o

If your basement is heated or cooled by design or default, then the walls need to be insulated.

Even if the walls are nearly completely underground, they still need to be insulated because a considerable amount of energy is lost through the foundation walls into the soil.

Insulating the walls of even an underground basement always makes sense because lost energy means money wasted on unecessary heating and cooling.

If your basement contains no furnaces, boilers or similar devices that condition the space, then the ceiling of the basement should be insulated.

o

I put a 1.5 inchs of foam on my basement wall raised my basement temp 10 deg in the winter and nice and cool in the summer money well spent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here