Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

What's wrong with this stucco board?

Ruth_MI
10 years ago

My son lives across the state, and is looking for his first house. He's considering an offer on one that has some issue with the stucco board. The house was built in 1981.

He'd make any offer contingent on an inspection, and I've encouraged him to go back and take a closer look at all of the stucco board siding. But I hate for him to go so far as an offer (and spend $ on an inspection) if this might be a big $ problem and should mean a lower offer or walking away. This picture is above the garage door.

Because the problem areas are mostly near the boards, I'm concerned about water, rot, etc. and that this is much more than a paint job. Any thoughts? I can crop and post a more detailed picture if needed, but I thought the context might help. Thank you!!

Comments (5)

• sdello
    10 years ago

traditionally, stucco is not a "board" but is a cementitious coating over some substrate usually onto a wire mesh that is mechanically fastened tot he substrate.

That being said I think you're concerns are warranted because the external finish has been compromised which would permit water to get at the underlying sheathing which is likely wood.

If he really likes the house he should have it thoroughly inspected and get damage estimates before making an offer. Just my 0.02.

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, sdello, that makes sense and is helpful.

• rantontoo
    10 years ago

Have you searched the internet for issues with this material? My subdivision was built in the 1980s; and both homes near me with the material had issues with rotting and mold. I think the failures with stucco board might have been a class action litigation issue years ago. One neighbor just put vinyl siding over the problem without checking for damage behind the material...yikes!

Definitely check for mold issues and framing rot!

• Ruth_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ranton. He ended up making a lowball offer and we have a good (I think!) inspector lined up if it's accepted. I'll emphasize checking the stucco well.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

What is stucco board? If you don't know what the cladding is you won't be able to understand the seriousness of the deterioration.

I must say that the fact that the owner did not bother to repair the damage before putting the house on the market is a red flag unless this is a distress sale and that might also be a red flag. A thorough inspection is needed.