Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bibbus

how to replace rusty teflon flat grill

bibbus 7b
9 years ago

My older model GE stove has a flat grill insert that once was Teflon but now has deteriorated and looks rusty. I can't find a replacement online as its very old. Any suggestions on how to replace or repair it? It is really handy for pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches. I've covered it with aluminum foil for now but would like a more permanent solution.

Comments (12)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, but there is nothing that can be done to renovate that, and I can't think of a fix. If you are concerned about teflon flaking off, or are having trouble with food now sticking, maybe you can scour the teflon off with really fine grit sandpaper and/or steel wool, and keep the metal surface seasoned with oil.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I suspect that the surface as it is will cook every bit as well as it ever did. Carefully washed beforehand, of course. It looks like many restaurant grilles.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

If you sand it off, is it all off? Was the underlying surface treated to bond to the nonstick? Experts advice not using old or worn nonstick surfaces, why take a chance?

If it were mine, I wouldn't use it. Buy yourself a plug in electric griddle for $35, or a griddle to use on a cooktop burner for even less.

• hippy
    9 years ago

bibbus
    Knowing the Model number of your stove will go a long way in possibly helping you locate a new griddle.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Did a little reading on the Web about Teflon. Found a variety of opinions, some of which make no sense after careful thought. Let's look at the matter of ingested Teflon.
    First, Teflon resists temperatures far higher than any within the human body. Teflon resists an amazing variety of acids and other harsh chemicals and thus should not be affected by any of the substances encountered within the the human body. Ingested Teflon particles will be expelled from the bowels unchanged within a couple of days. Teflon is used as a component in several implants. Teflon is used as cutting boards for food preparation-- but is not generally recommended for that purpose as Teflon has no antibacterial action because it is so inert.
    Make your own choice, but I see no danger from ingesting Teflon particles.
    Two links.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3523558

Here is a link that might be useful: Flaking

This post was edited by bus_driver on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 11:35

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

More on Teflon.

Here is a link that might be useful: More

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Bus driver, thanks for demonstrating how to use Google to come to a questionable conclusion. When you don't understand what you're reading and what sources are credible or relevant to your query, any outcome is possible.

Let's start at the beginning. Is this part coated with Teflon or is it something else? What other chemicals were used? How about the metal surface, which wasn't intended to be in contact with food, what's in it? Et cetera.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

If the Teflon is in question, then your argument is with the original post which identifies it as Teflon. And while refuting the sources at the links I posted, you offer no disputing evidence at all.
    Which part did I fail to understand?
    So as the self-proclaimed expert, how do Teflon particles harm the human body? What does the human digestive system do to Teflon that changes it? A scientific explanation, please.

Posting from the post above so that it cannot be deleted: "Bus driver, thanks for demonstrating how to use Google to come to a questionable conclusion. When you don't understand what you're reading and what sources are credible or relevant to your query, any outcome is possible."

This post was edited by bus_driver on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 21:55

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Why would I want to delete my post?

It's not necessary to know what an answer is, in order to recognize a speculation that's unsupported. Here's what you referenced:

- a blog page written by a food and beer writer
    - a web page about what fumes from non-stick pans do to pet birds
    - a PubMed abstract (do you even know what PubMed is ?) about teflon coated orbital implants. Do you know what an orbital implant is?

You've based your view on these comments, which I'll describe as either not authoritative, irrelevant, or both. There are also the questions listed in my second post, that I'm going to guess you can't answer.

BUT, you're sure you've found the answer. I'd say, odds are you haven't. From what you know for sure and what you've looked at, I'd say you're nowhere close. That's my comment.

PS - is there really such a thing as a teflon cutting board? If Teflon can be put on a cutting board, why is it suggested that plastic and wooden utensils be used with Teflon frying pans? Do you have a link we can see, so we can all learn something?

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

" I'd say you're nowhere close. That's my comment."
    So show us what is "close".
    You offer no substance whatever while disparaging anything which is not consistent with your preconceived non-supported conclusion.

Quote from the link below:
    "Ingesting particles that flake off scratched non-stick cookware isn't toxic because solid PTFE flakes are inert."

Here is a link that might be useful: Teflon

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

The "authority" shown in your new link is a Washington DC lobbyist organization. Could be right, could be wrong. Is that article a balanced view of known evidence, or is it an opinion piece (as most lobbyist material is)? It's hard to know.

I'll let it rest with this. Just because you get a Google word link doesn't mean the resulting "find" is either authoritative or correct. I think your "findings" show how easy it is to come to a false or unsupported conclusion. You need to know and understand the source of information, to be able to know if it's reasonably reliable.

Back to the original post - do as you like, but for a few bucks, you can avoid any possible problems.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The environmental lobbyists take the most extreme positions, so if they find no problem, the evidence is quite strong that there is none.
    It would have been quite helpful if snidely had posted that he/she disagrees and then offered some evidence to support his/her position.
    But no evidence has been offered. Only insults.
    Res Ipsa loquitur.