Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

House built on slab - water leaking in

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 11:30

I am asking for a friend. Her house is built on a slab. It appears the ground is flat around it - not sloped away at all. Water is leaking around the base of the house, coming in and ruining the baseboard and bamboo flooring.
I know nothing about slab built houses. Is the ground supposed to slope away, like it does if the house has a basement or crawl space?

Also - the house has vinyl siding applied over the original wood siding. At the bottom of the siding is a J channel. Is there supposed to be a J channel at the bottom? Doesn't that catch the water that runs down the siding?

The house is about 50 years old. They recently took up carpet in a bedroom, so they can see the gap between the floor and the baseboard. It looks like the bottom of the framing is rotting from the water leaking in. How in the world would they repair that? The house is 2 story I. That spot.

Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope this makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: House built on slab - water leaking in

The ground should definately slope away from the house. The slab should not be at ground level, either, but at least a few inches above it, as should framing components that can wick up moisture.

RE: House built on slab - water leaking in

As a quick fix, you can dig a ditch around the perimeter that will carry the runof away from the home. But the real long term solution is regrading the yard and proper gutters on the home. As well as doing the now needed structural repairs ASAP after the regrading occurs. This is a MAJOR issue that needs to be addressed in a timely manner.

Duct leakage test

You know the Vent Cap is an eco-friendly, re-usable cap system, used to seal residential heating and cooling vents in home. While most commonly used for an energy audit�s duct system testing, the vent cap can also be used to aid duct cleaning. Their is also used a unique system that is "duct leakage test procedure". It gives An essential addition to your air duct leakage testing equipment, vent cap systems replace the cumbersome and expensive plastic register sealing films, like duct musk, used in duct blaster testing

Here is a link that might be useful: duct leakage test procedure

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here