Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House built on a slab - water coming in

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 11:25

I am asking for a friend. Her house is built on a slab. It appears the ground is flat around it - not sloped away at all. Water is leaking around the base of the house, coming in and ruining the baseboard and bamboo flooring.
I know nothing about slab built houses. Is the ground supposed to slope away, like it does if the house has a basement or crawl space?

Also - the house has vinyl siding applied over the original wood siding. At the bottom of the siding is a J channel. Is there supposed to be a J channel at the bottom? Doesn't that catch the water that runs down the siding and funnel it into the slab?

The house is about 50 years old. They recently took up carpet in a bedroom, so they can see the gap between the floor and the baseboard. It looks like the bottom of the framing is rotting from the water leaking in. How in the world would they repair that? The house is 2 story I. That spot.

Sorry I don't have pictures. I hope this makes sense.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House built on a slab - water coming in

double post. see other thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here