Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newquilter

Curtain Rods

newquilter
9 years ago

Hi,
I am not sure where to post this so my apologies in advance.
I hung up some curtain rods and because the windows aren't standard size I had to buy rods that extend to about 120". The windows aren't that wide though.
The rods came with an extension piece that I didn't need to use but I didn't throw them out.
When I installed the rods I noticed that one rod is wider (thicker) in diameter than the other one. Now I have a normal looking end and a skinny end which looks weird to me. This isn't how rods are supposed to look, right?
What am I doing wrong?

Comments (4)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    9 years ago

Well, they often telescope to some extent to allow for odd sized openings.
    Try using one of the extension pieces instead of one of the ends and see if that doesn't match up better.
    Perhaps it might make it easier to do this exchanging/experimenting on the floor first to find the two pieces that match the best.

• sdello
    9 years ago

To echo some of cearbhaill's thoughts:

1) it sounds like the smaller one nests inside the larger one to allow a telescoping action for varies lengths.
    2) if the extension piece fits over the smaller one and is the same size as the larger one, you might cut the smaller middle piece so that your final rod has larger diameters on both ends.
    3) Lastly, depending on style the curtain should cover the rod so the size doesn't matter because you can't see it.

• hippy
    9 years ago

Depending on the type of rod you have.

Mine came with three rods. Two were the same dia. One was a smaller dia that slipped inside of the other two.

The two larger ones were for the outside and fit the outside hangers.

You put up the hangers first. Then measure the distance between them and add in the amount that you want them to be past the hangers (say 3 " on each side for example = 6" total).

Distance + 6" (over hang) = total length rod needed. Lets say that it came up to 105" total.

You take the two larger rods laid end to end and measure them. Lets say that they are 109" total.

109" -105" = 4. You would then cut 2 1/2" off of each large rod. You are taking a total of 5" from the overall length of the rod.

You now insert the small rod into the larger ones and place the rod on the hangers. Adjust them so that you have 3" of overhang past each outside hanger.

Back at the center you should now have a 1" gap between the two large rods with the smaller one showing. That is where the center hanger needs to be placed.

This works for everything from the smallest to the maximum width window that the rod is sized for.

• Alin Mitrache
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there! I found this website ( www.kwikhang.com/to-order-curtain-rods.html ) that deals with cheap curtain rods. Does anyone of you know if they are a good resource for curtain rods? I was looking for a site with a lot of real user activity or stats to back up what they do. If anyone haven any ideea please post here or PM me, thank you so much!