Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BayWindow Dripping water from inside

Posted by amav31 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 10:41

I noticed that the Baywindow in my Living room is dripping water from inside top where the wood frame meets the wall.
I took a picture and uploaded here.http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/01/baywindow_waterdrip.html
I live in Boston and we had many snow storms this season.
There is lot of snow on the roof.But I noticed the water drips only when the temperatures rise and the snow is melting. I have another bay window in the den that does not have this problem nor does any other windows in the house. What could have gone wrong. ? The roof is in pretty good shape...not too old.
Any hints or suggestions will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BayWindow Dripping water from inside

Probably ice dams on the roof eave, no Ice & Water Shield underlayment or perhaps poor flashing so the water from melting snow is getting in. A classic freeze-thaw syndrome in cold climates. It's usually necessary to tear the roofing off at the eaves and put it back right.

o

I'd say not probably, but definitely an ice dam issue.

How old is your roof? Does the outside fascia above the window go straight up to the underside of a large overhanging soffit? Is the other bay the same type of window on the same side of the house?

If you pull off that trim board I suspect you'll find that the area above it likely has ponded water. As water is added to the "pond" it finds its way to the inside space.

If you can, go up in the attic with a stron flashlight and look at the undersidfe of the roof at the outside perimeter. See if it's wet and to what extent. If you see a significant amount of water and still have a lot of snow in the roof, It might be worth it to look into haing a roofer ciome and remove whatever snow he can.

That "leak" will likely continue until the snow is gone or iuntil the melt can freely flow off of the roof. This winter in New England you're not alone.

o

I cannot see any water in the attic.
But I think I will have someone over to come and clean the ice dam. Much thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here