Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecl09

Winter Snow/Ice Removal

Ecl09
10 years ago

I just moved from southern Arizona to PA and am less than prepared for the winter weather. I know how to shovel of course. But sometimes there is a layer of ice that I can't get rid of with just a plain snow shovel. I am trying to avoid using salt because of its affect on the environment so I'm fine with doing the grunt work. Any advice on what tool to purchase? brand, size, material, etc.

I saw an ice scraper like the one below in a hardware store, but didn't buy it because that was before all the snow, and I didn't think I would need anything like it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Scraper

Comments (2)

• User
    10 years ago

Use a pet friendly salt---with potassium chloride. Not as detrimental to the environment and much better than any tool.

• ionized_gw
    10 years ago

Your pictured tool might help you out, but I never used one. I think that plastic/galvanized is going to be very light and for this purpose and you will find something heavy more useful. I found that a heavy, and relatively highly-curved blade works well. You let the weight of the shovel do some of the work to loosen the ice and then pick it up with a light shovel when you are done scraping. The curved blade will shoot the ice right out in front of the shovel for you when you can get it loose. Heavy shovels might be hard to find in this day and age because they cost more. Why not go back to your neighborhood hardware store and ask what they use at home?

The fact is, that without salt (and we never used it in Northern NY when I was a kid) you won't get rid of ice very easily until the sun comes out and it warms up. If you have a darkly-colored driveway it works better than light concrete. A little salt can go a long way and you don't want to use a lot anyway because you track it into the house.

Here is another tip if you want to keep your driveway completely clear of frozen water. Shovel it out before you drive on it so you don't get hard strips of compacted snow that are also difficult to scrape off.

Get out and enjoy your new environment. Get some skis and head into the fields and forests. If that does not work for you, maybe get some snow shoes or ice skates. Most important, remember that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad apparel. Get the clothes that you need to keep warm. Remember, however, that if you fall down walking to the car, it is too slippery to drive.