Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windslam

Using sheetrock panels as Grid Ceiling tiles.

windslam
12 years ago

Has anyone tried cutting 2x2 panels from sheet rock and using them in a grid ceiling? Do they continue to lay flat over time without any sag? I'm specifically considering using the thin 1/4 inch thick panels to reduce weight even though the grid is well supported.

I originally installed some fancy Armstrong tiles in the ceiling hoping to give the area a classy look. It did look great for about 5 years. Now each and every tile has slightly bowed in the center because of the design characteristics which gives the ceiling a saggy look. In another area I had used plain old flat acoustical tiles and they still look great and lay flat even after 10 years.

This all started because with the addition of a wood stove, I wanted something over the stove area which would not be affected by heat or if a piece fell, would not be a fire hazard. I cut down some tile backer board that is about 1/8th inch or so into 2x2 panels, painted it put them over the stove area and they really lay flat and look great. Due to the cost, I don't want to do the whole ceiling in that stuff so thought the sheet rock panels would be the next best approach for the rest of the ceiling in that area even though cutting into 2x2 panels is a bit labor intensive. Looking at the selection of ceiling tiles in Lowes and Home Depot, I haven't seen anything I want to use. They all feel like compressed paper pulp and I'm sure some of the fancier ones will sag over time. They are already doing it in the store displays.

This is on a lower level in a split foyer home. I don't want to permanently sheet rock the ceiling because it gives me the flexibility of getting up in there to service both floors. I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy every time something new comes along that requires wiring changes for networks, adding tv cable to rooms, changing out lighting, rerouting/repair/plumbing upgrades etc.

Any experienced info on using the sheet rock as panels would really be appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax