Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin_m_gw

Basement Water Seepage

justin_m
14 years ago

I have an unfinished portion of my basement with one wall which is towards the front of my townhome. I have cement (or Cinder?) block walls, no sump pump, and have a small gap between the wall and the floor slab. The block wall is entirely below grade. The gutters are not leaking and push water out to the road 20 feet in front of the house. The outside grade is level at worst, but it cannot be easily regraded due to the front porch entirely covering this area.

I noticed mold growth and efflorescence flaking the existing paint on the walls. I scrapped the mold off the wall (w/ goggles, mask and gloves) and paint chips pulled off by the efflorescence (some paint I could not remove with any paint strippers). I than applied basement latex waterproofing paint (Primer 1-2-3). This ended up possibly making the flaky paint/efflorescence situation worse a few months after application. There is an existing drilled hole in the wall about 2 feet in height from the floor slab (the problem did exist above it as well). No water visably drains from this hole giving reason for me to believe that the water level within the concrete block is NO higher than 2 feet, but I am having a humidity exchange. Some cool air blows through the hole that was drilled for the incoming water pipe (about 6 feet high).

I have since scrapped the wall again as best as I can, with most paint still giving me problems with the latex paint stripper solution. The paint which had the problems came off rather easily.

I bought a bucket of DryLock (but I have not opened it yet), concrete filler (for the holes), and etching solution. I have read that this may solve the problem.

I have also read conflicting reports that I can or cannot apply over existing paint (even if it is as stubborn as mine).

My question is "How do I best deal with the solution?"

If I seal with DryLock, will this at least delay the problem 5 years+?

I do not have the money for a sump pump install (which is freq pressure sold to desprite people) - so I want a good solution not to cost me in excess of $500.

Comments (3)