Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement Water Seepage

Posted by justin_m (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 6, 10 at 9:58

I have an unfinished portion of my basement with one wall which is towards the front of my townhome. I have cement (or Cinder?) block walls, no sump pump, and have a small gap between the wall and the floor slab. The block wall is entirely below grade. The gutters are not leaking and push water out to the road 20 feet in front of the house. The outside grade is level at worst, but it cannot be easily regraded due to the front porch entirely covering this area.
I noticed mold growth and efflorescence flaking the existing paint on the walls. I scrapped the mold off the wall (w/ goggles, mask and gloves) and paint chips pulled off by the efflorescence (some paint I could not remove with any paint strippers). I than applied basement latex waterproofing paint (Primer 1-2-3). This ended up possibly making the flaky paint/efflorescence situation worse a few months after application. There is an existing drilled hole in the wall about 2 feet in height from the floor slab (the problem did exist above it as well). No water visably drains from this hole giving reason for me to believe that the water level within the concrete block is NO higher than 2 feet, but I am having a humidity exchange. Some cool air blows through the hole that was drilled for the incoming water pipe (about 6 feet high).

I have since scrapped the wall again as best as I can, with most paint still giving me problems with the latex paint stripper solution. The paint which had the problems came off rather easily.

I bought a bucket of DryLock (but I have not opened it yet), concrete filler (for the holes), and etching solution. I have read that this may solve the problem.

I have also read conflicting reports that I can or cannot apply over existing paint (even if it is as stubborn as mine).

My question is "How do I best deal with the solution?"

If I seal with DryLock, will this at least delay the problem 5 years+?

I do not have the money for a sump pump install (which is freq pressure sold to desprite people) - so I want a good solution not to cost me in excess of $500.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement Water Seepage

Painting any substance on the interior wall will not keep the water out for long.
Contact the Drilock people to find out about the paint compatibility.
You shouldn't have water "in" the block wall. You should remove any if you do.
Ron

o

No liquid water in block:
"There is an existing drilled hole in the wall about 2 feet in height from the floor slab (the problem did exist above it as well). No water visibly drains from this hole giving reason for me to believe that the water level within the concrete block is NO higher than 2 feet, but I am having a humidity exchange. "
Most of my problem seems to be with efflorescence pealing my paint. However, much of the wall no efflorescence is visible and the paint is extremely difficult to remove.

Has anyone had a similar experience in their basement? How did you handle it? How did it turn out? Thanks. I am taking my time pealing as much of the paint off as I can when time allows before considering applying the DryLock at this point.

I will contact Drylock and ask them if I can use it over most the wall (the stubborn paint).

o

I just came across your post. I have to ask, do you have a septic tank? on what wall is your waste pipe? You may have a leak from that source causing water to come back in. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here