Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pongman

replace plastic trim on front entry door

pongman
15 years ago

I have a fiberglass front entry door that has a window in it surrounded by plastic trim. The trim on the inside of the door is as good as new, but the trim on the outside of the door is cracked and warped possibly due to heat from the sun being trapped by the screen door. I am looking to replace the trim; and if necessary, the entire window and trim module. I have searched for DIY forums on this topic and can't find anything. How would you recommend I go about getting this repair done?

Comments (11)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

I would contact the manufacture outfit to get the proper replacement parts and if you dont feel confident about d.i.y, seek out a reputable handyman in your area.

• macattac
    15 years ago

Most all steel and fiberglass door manufacturers use "commodity" inserts for full lite, half lite, 9 lite, 15 lite, etc glass inserts. They don't make that part (plastic frame with glass inside) but instead cut the hole in the door blank and insert the glass made by specialty manufacturers that service the door making industry. They are referred to as commodity inserts because usually inserts from different companies are interchangeable.

They are sold with both inside/outside trim AND the glass as mulchmamma said, and you have to double-check the sizes. My company was just able to sell (10) 9 lite (same size as 1/2 lite)sets to a company on the other side of the country WITHOUT the glass. They loved this of course because it saved them a fortune on shipping (weight) and they got to re-use their perfectly good glass anyway.

You didn't say what your window was. For example the units i spoke of were 23 3/4"W x 37 3/4"H, measured to the outside dimensions.

• macattac
    15 years ago

I thought i'd throw this in as i got a few email questions:
    Usually a 2/6 door will have a smaller width of 21 3/4", and the larger doors will USUALLY be 23 3/4".

If your measurement is within a 1/2" or so it will work.
    Ed

• M Mendoza
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Could You tell me the name of the companies or where can I purchase the trim?

• HU-4473109
    8 years ago

I would also like to know the name of the companies. If I take it in to Home D do they do this type of repair....ie replace the trim and or glass? Anyone able to estimate the expected cost?

Thanks,

Alpharetta, Ga.

• millworkman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

More than likely would need the manufacturer of the door as they are all slightly different. None are interchangeable from what I know. It is also the entire frame that holds the glass in place.

• harry_wild
    6 years ago

I am looking to replace a wrapped and cracked plastic frame on my front entry full lite glass door. I contracted Stanleydoorproducts.com since my door is a Stanley branded door. I will be sending measurements and photos to see if I can get a replacement.

• Mary Currier
    3 years ago

I have the same problem. What is the part number to replace the plastic trim?

• HU-860424508
    3 years ago

I found a company online called DIY Doorstore. They had the frame in stock and shipped it out right away. I had it in a few days. They had it for both my front door and the two side windows.

• HU-263603425
    last year

Noreen, I got the exact trim I needed thanks to your information from Pease door.

Thank you!!