Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xellos_gw

fence with standing water issue

xellos
11 years ago

Hello and happy new year to everyone. I am a new home owner and I've encountered an issue with our backyard. Every time it rains, there is standing water near the fence facing the streets. I noticed the kick board or bottom baseboard is way too low on the ground,thus retaining the flow of runoff water to go on the other side. Can I just rip those baseboards off? I noticed some wire on the front side holding it to the ground and I'm not sure what that is for. I would like some opinions before I call the fencing company.Thanks

This post was edited by xellos on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 10:36

Comments (7)

• sdello
    11 years ago

If the water is standing then there is no flow to restrict. you don't say where you're from or what the soil is like or where the natural groundwater table is in your area.

From the photos you could just remove the boards but I doubt that will "drain" your back yard.

Re-grading and some sort of drainage system is needed to get rid of the standing water.

My 0.02

• xellos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We just moved in Fay, NC and how do I find out where the groundwater table area is at? The rest of the yard is fine towards the back.Water just seem to pool on towards the front sides of the fence.The neighbors on the other side doesn't have a fence and no water issue.

This post was edited by xellos on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:54

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"how do I find out where the groundwater table area is at? "

Dig a hole and see if it fills with water when there has not been any surface runoff for a few days.

• xellos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I contacted two contractors to give me an estimate on re-grading the yard or possibly installing french drain. I am dreading what the cost of labor due to the size of the yard.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

And you have to find a place to discharge any drain you install.

The neighbors only have to accept natural runoff, not collected runoff.

• xellos
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To do list this weekend: dig out all the chicken wire and remove excess soil and dirt. Then take a sawzall and rip the bottom part boards of the fence.If this doesnt work, I will install the french drain. :((

This post was edited by xellos on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:53

• Jimhassel
    11 years ago

We had such problems and we contacted an eminent service provider for water restoration damage problems. Further we found an excellent work from a seller named belmanliving which offered a better concrete pavement solution. So you may look for them.