Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fence with standing water issue

Posted by xellos (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 9:46

Hello and happy new year to everyone. I am a new home owner and I've encountered an issue with our backyard. Every time it rains, there is standing water near the fence facing the streets. I noticed the kick board or bottom baseboard is way too low on the ground,thus retaining the flow of runoff water to go on the other side. Can I just rip those baseboards off? I noticed some wire on the front side holding it to the ground and I'm not sure what that is for. I would like some opinions before I call the fencing company.Thanks
IMG_20130111_090458_zpsf8c11eb6

Untitled

IMG_20121008_182851_zps32d6c0b3

This post was edited by xellos on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 10:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fence with standing water issue

If the water is standing then there is no flow to restrict. you don't say where you're from or what the soil is like or where the natural groundwater table is in your area.

From the photos you could just remove the boards but I doubt that will "drain" your back yard.

Re-grading and some sort of drainage system is needed to get rid of the standing water.

My 0.02

o

We just moved in Fay, NC and how do I find out where the groundwater table area is at? The rest of the yard is fine towards the back.Water just seem to pool on towards the front sides of the fence.The neighbors on the other side doesn't have a fence and no water issue.

This post was edited by xellos on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:54

o

"how do I find out where the groundwater table area is at? "

Dig a hole and see if it fills with water when there has not been any surface runoff for a few days.

o

I contacted two contractors to give me an estimate on re-grading the yard or possibly installing french drain. I am dreading what the cost of labor due to the size of the yard.

o

And you have to find a place to discharge any drain you install.

The neighbors only have to accept natural runoff, not collected runoff.

o

To do list this weekend: dig out all the chicken wire and remove excess soil and dirt. Then take a sawzall and rip the bottom part boards of the fence.If this doesnt work, I will install the french drain. :((

This post was edited by xellos on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 12:53

o

We had such problems and we contacted an eminent service provider for water restoration damage problems. Further we found an excellent work from a seller named belmanliving which offered a better concrete pavement solution. So you may look for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here