Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing dried paint from shingle

Posted by shadygrove (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 9:23

Any suggestions on how to best remove some dried acrylic housepaint from my (new, fifty-year traditional asphalt/composite shingle) roof? Bonehead workman splashed some by accident. Needless to say, at the front of my house. Are the traditional petroleum-based solvents safe? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing dried paint from shingle

I would be concerned about using a petroleum based solvent on an asphalt shingle (which is basically petroleum based). Any possibility of painting the shingle a color that would match itself? It wouldn't be perfect, but I don't think cleaning would either.

Or, could you get some of the shingles that were not used and just glue them over the top of the painted shingles? Nobody would probably notice unless you pointed it out.

o

Shadygrove is right about not using a solvent on asphalt shingles.

I would however be a little concerned about shingles glued down that were not woven into the installed roof, might create a catchment that would hold water and cause problems. And the irregularity might be more obvious than you would like.

Replacing one or several shingles without compromising the integrity of a roof is not difficult. Google "shingle repair" and you will find any number of pages showing how it is done with everyday tools. I did this recently to cover a roof patch where I had removed a chimney, and there was nothing technically challenging about it at all. The trickiest part was not sliding off the 5/12 pitch roof.

Since your roof is new you should be able to buy matching new shingles, but if not just swap out the painted ones for some others from an inconspicuous part of the roof.

o

Thanks for the advice...I'll go outside this weekend and frown at the roof a little more....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here