Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 Garage Doors not working correctly w/different problems

Posted by nghdawg (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 9:06

Any help would be apprecited....First Door is a Craftsman about 10 years old. I had just figured out how to reprogram the keypad and everything seemed to be fine until my wife left for work yesterday...she was able to get out of the garage and then to door wouldn't close. the motor runs but the chain won't move. The problem is I can't raise it quite far enough to get in and out without bumping it. I had to rig it this morning and tie it off. Anyway...after reading the forum I am guessing my gears are worn out and a service tech needs to come.

Second one is a genie and was in the house when we moved in 10 yrs ago. It has the old doorbell button. It seems to work at some times and not at others. A couple of months ago it just stopped working. Hit the button, you would hear it click but nothing happened. Two weeks later it worked again. Two weeks later same problem...two weeks later it worked again and now it doesn't...again! Any ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 Garage Doors not working correctly w/different problems

If you take the cover off the motor unit you will be able to see the drive gear just in front of the motor. Odds are it is stripped and will be obvious. If you are handy you can do this repair yourself but it is more than just a plug in type repair. The new part comes with instructions.

If you can hear a click coming from the opener on the Genie when you press the wall button it is probably a bad solder connection on a pc board. This too could be repaired if you are handy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here