Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use to Fill driveway expansion joint?

Posted by stash-hdy (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 8:46

My driveway has shifted over time which is very common for the area. The expansion gap is now close to an inch in width. My area uses a product called Deck O Seal which is a self leveling joint sealer around pools. It is meant for gaps less than 1/2 inch so I can't use it. I have seen around the area a similar material to close up wider gaps, does anyone know its name? I could use a 3/4 board and fill the gap with Deck O Seal but it would be easier to fill the entire gap with a self leveler.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use to Fill driveway expansion joint?

At HD, etc, they have 3/4" x 3" x 6 or 8' expansion joints that are tar impregnated fiberboard. After that is inserted/hammered into the gap, a better-appearing sealer can be applied on top.

o

HD has a self leveling material I've used in the past. It's made by Sikka. You fill in the depth with backer rod and seal the 1/2" deep surface with the compound. It's in the concrete aisle.
Ron

o

I've used a pavement sealant from Dow Corning for the expansion joints on my driveway and front sidewalk. I really liked it because it installs easily and can handle concrete movements well. It has been holding up great since last summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Expansion Joints

o

"I've used a pavement sealant from Dow Corning for the expansion joints on my driveway and front sidewalk. I really liked it because it installs easily and can handle concrete movements well. It has been holding up great since last summer."

Make sure the sealer is rated for the driveway material.

Not all concrete sealers/fillers work with asphalt.
The presence of oil products in the asphalt can interfere with bonding and hardening.

The same is true for asphalt products.
They can contain solvents designed to improve bonding to asphalt that will stain concrete and provide no benefit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here