Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocks911

Fixing drywall cracks

rocks911
11 years ago

I have a couple of cracks in the drywall in my bedroom and want to know the best way to go about fixing them. The cracks extend from the corner of a window.

I lived in a home years ago that had a lot of these, to be expected in an older home in the Dallas area (clay soil that expands and contracts a lot) but man were they unsightly. It seemed that they way over engineered the repair and when the soil (clay) around the house became more moist and the cracks sealed up whatever was used to fill the cracks now squished out of the cracks.

Its a real problem in the Dallas area to be sure and because my house is on the newer side I dont want to repair these the wrong way and cause an even more unsightly problem. I was thinking some caulk injected into the crack (as caulk can expand and contract to some extent)and then texturing over it (splatter drag) with a can of texture from HD.

I'm really pretty good with the can-o-texture, greatest thing ever invented, but mostly I dont want to butcher the crack and live to regret it.

Whats the best way to go about this?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!