Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisjenn36

Foundation grading and efflorescence

chrisjenn36
9 years ago

Good morning I'm a new to this fourm. I recently bought my first house with my wife it's a small ranch style house with bsmt. I have some efflorescence in some spots in the bsmt like where the front and back steps are ad in some spots where the dirt in the yard is. I know about how to waterproof the outside like dig up all around ur house foundation and seal it on the outside. I don't have lots of water penatration. Just some dampness.i would like to know if It woul be better money wise to just cemnt over the dirt around the house and back yard like four ft out from the house would that stop the water penatration seeping into the bsmt? I know the grand of my yard is slanted to the foundation that is cement that's doing that into the dirt that's right up against my house. So basically I want to know if I cement all the first four ft from my foundation and grade it away from my house and into the lawn would that's work rather then digging up foundation and sealin it. I am looking for the less money spent. But it also has to be effective I want to finish bsmt and want to dry lock it just want to make sure I can go head if it's a good idea to cement the dirt. Around the house. Thank you any information would he helpful

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Cement is not waterproofing, and topical water barriers can have catastrophic effects if applied inappropriately. You need to do some research.

• klem1
    9 years ago

^^^^What he said.^^^^^^^
    AND
    "I know the grand of my yard is slanted to the foundation that is cement that's doing that into the dirt that's right up against my house"
    If you are trying to say water runs toward and ponds next to foundation backfilling to correct that may solve the problem.

• chrisjenn36
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for ur answers. Back filling I will research just thought cosmetically I can pour cement down to cover ugly parts of the yard where weeds grow and also slant it aways from the foundation. I can leave the dirt and add sod toake it nice. I just want to finish bsmt and not worry if there is a real serious problem with water. I have been in the home for a year now and had been through some real rain showers no leaks have came into the bsmt so am I worry to much about this problem an the efflorencce could have been on the walls for some time it was a short sale so it wasn't taken cared of for about two years bfore I moved in. Should I get a bsmt waterproofer to come in and see if it's gonna be a problem?

• chrisjenn36
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would u still say it can have catastrophic effects if I just wanted to cover the dirt up around my house it just so happenes that I want it to start at the wall of te foundation and come out four ft with a little Slope.i have one useless patch I dont want to look at anymore.

• klem1
    9 years ago

Noone said you "couldn't ",just that you "shouldn't." It's your house,do as you please if it makes you happy.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths