Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conn123_gw

Newly renovated house: huge 'settling' cracks

conn123
14 years ago

Hi...we just completed a huge renovation of an old (1860s) house. It was a long, expensive, and sometimes painful process, but we finally moved back home. As fall has turned to winter (we are in the Northeast), huge cracks and /or gaps have developed in a number of places: trim work, molding, walls, etc. We asked the builder who said "house is settling" and left it at that, but these cracks are really quite noticeable. (I also wonder why a house that is 150 years old is settling now...seems belated, to say the least). Two questions:

1) what can be done to fix or at least cover the very large and unsightly cracks/gaps that have appeared. Would caulking and painting help?

2) Is it true that this is just to be expected even in an old house that presumably finished settling some time back?

Thanks a million...any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

More likely the new materials are shrinking with the lower humidity in heating season.

Unless new structural supports have been added (studs, joists) the actual settling should be long completed.

• User
    14 years ago

Was any new structure added to an upper story? As in more bedroom space on the second floor?

One way to differentiate settling from material movement is to look at where the cracks are.

Cracks where no new framing was done, but framing was done above could indicate settling. The foundation was adjusted to the old weight/balance and the new structure changed that.

Cracks where new framing was done can easily be just wood movement.

Your house probably has white oak 2" by 4" framing. The new will be 1&1/2" by 3&1/2" fir new growth wood. That can move a lot.

If the builder will not get off the 'settling' issue and fix it, you may need legal help to force the fix. An independent home inspector will add some expertise to the situation.

• jonnyp
    14 years ago

Had a similar situation in my 50 year old house. The house is a tri-level which I gutted , leaving some rock lathe. After about a year had cracks develop in new plaster. I had taken quite a few photos during the process. Upon review of these photos sure enough the cracks were in places where there was new framing and where new plaster was tied to old. I did not specify a bonding agent to tie the new plaster to old.The cracks where framing was added were hair line, barely discernible at a few feet.
    As far as trim goes I try to keep away from real wood.I like to use MDF or PVC. These materials are more stable and are less likely to shrink (or grow).
    Right now I am looking at door trim I installed a year ago. Belly band (poplar) w/ rosettes and plinth blocks(hardwood from China)and I see gaps that I know weren't there when I installed them. Caulk

• sdello
    14 years ago

I'll echo the sentiment of the others. Depending on the width and locations of the cracks the most likely causes are 1) differential thermal movements between the new materials due to the seasonal changes here in the Northeast. Note if these cracks are cosmetically fixed right away, they may reappear during next year's cycle.

2) If structural changes were made during your "huge" renovation then the redistribution of loads may cause "settling" cracks. However, if the structural changes were not properly engineered it would cause cracking of new finishes, too.

• hardwoodjoe
    14 years ago

There are some really good products that can help fix your Hardwood Flooring issues and the problems with things such as Crown Molding : Stair Molding : T Molding : Shoe Molding etc. The Dri Tac Repair kit would be one of the first products that comes to mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dritac Repair Kit