Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suggi1

Ice problems

suggi
15 years ago

Didn't know where to post this but in MA we have had so much snow and then a terrible ice storm which turned into heavy rain and then the temps fell quickly and everything turned to ice. I have stone walls on both sides of my driveway and I keep putting out ice melt but it is not working because during the day (even though temps are around 30 degrees) there is a little melting on the end half of the driveway and I have water cascading down the stone walls from the snow on the grass. I am constantly putting out the ice melt but it keeps freezing over. Then at night it completely freezes.

I do not know what to do. I am afraid the mailman will fall or I will fall as I am 70 years old and have severe osteoporosis (10.9% below fracture level) and if I was warned by the doctor not to fall. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can keep on top of the ice problem as I have to come out the driveway door to get to my car. The upstairs front door is even worse as I can't control the ice on the steps either and I know I would fall on them. Is the ice melt not working because of the constant flow of water coming down the stone walls and covering it -- please someone tell me what to do. Right now I sprinkle the ice melt in front of me and walk along as I sprinkle but it still feels slippery and I am frightened......even more frightened if the mailman or someone else should fall so I keep going out.

Thanks.

Comments (5)