Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Garage Door Opener Gear Worn

Posted by blhpzlb (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 0:05

I have a 1/2 HP Garage door opener, chain drive. The large nylon gear is worn out. I need to remove the nylon gear from the shaft. It appears that there are two pins that hold the gear on the shaft. Are these knock out pins, or are they threaded. I am having trouble getting them out. Any suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Garage Door Opener Gear Worn

They are roll pins. They are not threaded. If you don't have a punch you can grind the point off a nail and use it to drive them out. Actually you only need to remove the bottom pin and the gear will slide off.

o

Where did you find the replacement nylon gear? Thanks.

o

stylin63 you can get the nylon gear at Sears or most any door opener service company. The part number is 41A2817.

o

I wanted to add my 2 cents, even though this is an old thread, because folks searching these boards still find it. I could not get those pins out either! But turns out for just a few dollars more you can get that gear already mounted on the shaft with a new bearings, chain sprocket, the works. And it beats pounding those pins out overhead! I put the instructions on a web page:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1347192/lifter/liftmaster_repair.html

Here is a link that might be useful: sears craftsman garage door opener gear repair / replacement instructions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here