Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorative Plaster with 2% Asbestos!

Posted by motoq2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 22:43

Hello,

This is a great follow-on question to the post made by Mollydog4 last weekend.

We are remodeling a 96 year old house. The original walls are a horse-hair type plaster - we're assuming (as we've been told by many trades people) that this material is non-hazardous.

However several walls in the house were covered with a coating of decorative plaster sometime later in the house's history. I had all of the deco plaster tested, and all came up negative except for one, which came back as containing 2% (chrysotile) asbestos. Now I need to figure out what to do; this material covers the walls & ceilings in 2 large rooms - my wife wants the painter to just scrape it all off. She is unalarmed by the low % of asbestos in the plaster, particularly since we've already had to abate other materials in the house with much higher percentage asbestos (we had 100 linear ft. of pipe insulation removed from the basement, and are now having 265 sq ft of old kitchen linoleum removed that was tested as containing a whopping 40% asbestos in it). These two abatement jobs have cost nearly $6,000 alone.

So, you can imagine I'm now having a tough time convincing her of the need to professional abate the plaster containing "just" 2% asbestos, in comparison the other materials we paid to abate. There are no children in the household yet, but that is in the plan.

How serious should I be taking this plaster? If we don't have it scraped from the walls and ceiling (it's pretty thin), the other option is to just paint the walls (live with the deco texture) and then (try) to cover up the ceiling with blueboard.

I wish I could introduce my wife to Mollydog4 for his/her opinon on this! I'm ready to pay the money to abate, or at least just live with the material by covering it up with paint or board, but she's not...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorative Plaster with 2% Asbestos!

It's good you tested, and 2% is pretty low...but it's still asbestos. Some people will tell you anything under 1% is no problem, but that's not an answer based on health risk, it's simply the cutoff that the Environmental Protection Agency employs for purposes of regulation since you can't regulate everything. I can understand your wife's view, because it is less risky than the really bad stuff, but that doesn't mean it's safe to scrape it off. And it would be a shame to contaminate your place after all you've already done to abate asbestos. I wouldn't take the risk.

If you don't want to spend the money on more abatement, I recommend you leave it. It's not dangerous if it's undisturbed. If you really hate the appearance, I don't see why you couldn't just put a new texture on top of it, as long as that doesn't involve abrading the existing material to prep it.

o
RE: Decorative Plaster with 2% Asbestos!

If you don't want to spend the money on more abatement, I recommend you leave it. It's not dangerous if it's undisturbed. If you really hate the appearance, I don't see why you couldn't just put a new texture on top of it, as long as that doesn't involve abrading the existing material to prep it.

I totaly agree, leave it alone and it is harmless. Paint, paper,texture,or put new drywall over it and all is well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here