Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfrizzle_gw

Sanding or just buffing hardwood

cfrizzle
10 years ago

We're doing a remodel of a 1917 Foursquare. Drywall is done! Cabinets are in! And my floor refinisher is delaying 2 days, which holds us up yet another weekend from moving in. We've also gone waaaay over budget on this remodel.

I'm beginning to question whether or not it is necessary to spend the big bucks to do a complete refinish (sanding down every floor & sealing) of our original rift plank floors. This whole time I've had it in my head that it's just what we have to do. We're not planning on staining the floor, we just want to sand and seal. There are two rooms that are in worse condition than the rest of the house. One has lots of paint (which I could just a strip off), the other one needs some love in the form of sealer. There are a few dark spots from animals that we were thinking about bleaching out or replacing with extra boards left over from moving walls.

I just saw on TOHs website that you can just buff the floor and reseal, which goes a lot quicker. And we could do that ourselves to save money.

What do y'all think? Pay the floor guy big bucks to have newly refinished hardwoods or just fix te trouble spots?

Comments (3)