Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taft

Porch Makes Family Room Dark

taft
12 years ago

We have a 10 ft deep porch on the south side of our family/dining room. It runs the length of the house. I hate that it makes the open concept family room dark. The Master bedroom above it is bright and sunny.

My question is...what can I do about it, if anything? I've talked with a contractor about putting skylights in that porch roof directly over the windows below so more light could get into the house. He was not keen on the idea and said the expense and the risk of leaking wouldn't justify the remodel. So I dropped it. But here we are again, winter, and the house is dark.

So, do you guys have any suggestion's? I can leave things as they are and keep living with a dark room (actually half of my house on the main floor), do the skylights, or take the porch roof off completely and call it a deck? I've also wondered about removing the roof and doing something on the lines of a pergola type structure so I can keep my electricals. If we take the roof off I'll lose my porch lights as the house is slab on grade so we can't run new electrical and mount lights on the house.

Comments (16)

• Fori
    12 years ago

Would you even care if you got leaks onto your porch? Heck, can you just open up chunks, skip the skylights, and let the rain come in. (This is probably climate dependent.)

Replace it with a pergola and maybe a small covered section for the patio furniture?

It sounds a lot like what I have except I've just got the one story. But mine is nice and keeps us from buying that air conditioning we should have. :) Again, a climate and house orientation thing I'm sure.

I suspect pictures are needed. And you need a contractor who actually wants the job. And even if you remove the whole thing, you'll have a PATIO! SO much more chic than a deck. :)

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

I'd replace it with a section of pergola with a polycarbonate (greenhouse material) roof, and try to put that somewhere there wasn't as many windows. Grow some vines on top for more shade and that will be deciduous in winter to let the sun in. For the rest, I'd replace it with one of those pull out awnings that will let you enjoy the sun most of the time but have shade when you need it.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

"He was not keen on the idea and said the expense and the risk of leaking wouldn't justify the remodel"

Installed/flashed correctly by anyone competent, contractor or otherwise, they wont leak unless caused by a freak of nature such as radical hail, hurricane force winds, a tree falling on them, etc.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

What is the slope of the porch roof?

• taft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The contractor who has done a lot of work for us is very competent so I was surprised by his reluctance to want to change the porch...but again he was more concerned with the means justifying the end. But he doesn't live in this house with it's dark interior. He thinks the house is fine and so does my DH but I am a bright light person and hate this room because of the porch. Our master bedroom and bath that is above this space is bright and I want that same light below.

I have no idea what the pitch of the roof is but we do live in the midwest so snow has to be able to melt off and we've not had issues with that.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Does the porch roof have shingles or is it a membrane?

• chisue
    12 years ago

I think he doesn't want to do this small job. Or, if the porch is on the front of the house, it could look odd with skylights in it.

We have two skylights in the roof of our screened porch. Ten years, no leaks. They keep the adjacent breakfast room and dining room bright year round.

Do we understand the roof slopes down from North to South? You might want skylights with shades that you could close in summer. (Our porch is located SE with slopes east and west. The skylights are in the eastern slope; porch is at the rear of house.)

Have you thought about solar-tubes to 'pipe' light into the great room?

• taft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The roof itself is steel. Then the underside is finished with white trex type beadboard. There is also five recessed cans in the porch ceiling and two ceiling fans, so the electrical will be a issue.

• taft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adding: I have two double windows in the family room that are pretty much in the center portion of this porch roof. It seems a good idea to me to put skylights in this area to let more light into the house, but again, the guy I would trust to do this work is not keen on it.

I'm sure it's more involved then I realize. The steel roof panels probably have to come off, electrical moved, the porch frame remodeled for the skylights, etc. It will be costly but worth it in the end if I can brighten up this dreary room.

• taft
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chiuse...there is no other way to get light into this portion of the house as the master bed and bath is above.

The porch roof slopes north to south. This porch is on the back side of our house but the driveway does come round to the back and that is our main entrance...remodeled farmhouse.

I think the contractor's reluctance in doing this is that he did not build the porch so he knows he's going to find something that's not right and this 'simple' skylight installation will probably devolve into tearing the whole porch off and redoing it from the ground up. The guy is a perfectionist and won't cut corners. He's fixed several problems we've had with this house so he knows...

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

Hg

Can you post a pic?

Have you considered removing that totally?

I can empathize with you - being a "bright" person.

I don't know that skylights would really offer a significant amount of light into the first floor.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Hmm...solar tubes through the porch roof?

A south-facing porch must get pretty hot. Do you WANT a porch there? Is there another location for a porch? We seem to be back to removing the roof...and possibly the porch.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

You may need a more experienced contractor or you may need to define the problem better.

If your roof slope is lower than 3 in 12 it will be difficult to install a skylight in metal roofing so there is no point in discussing the issue without that information. If the roof is 10 ft long it would need to rise at least 30" to have a slope of 3 in 12.

The link below shows how a skylight is flashed into a metal roof. If your roofing is steel instead of aluminum you might have to ask the manufacturer about how the detail might have to be modified.

Here is a link that might be useful: metal roof flashing

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

I have a porch also so I understand what you are talking about. I make sure the rooms have adequate lighting in all four corners and on tables throughout the room. Mirrors placed across from windows also helps to reflect any light in the room, along with using silver, glass and any surface that reflects light rather than absorbs it. Of course the wall color matters also. What I love about Sherwin Williams paint is that they show the light saturation for specific colors so you can choose those that reflect light rather than absorb it and suck it out of the room. I don't care of SW paint product so I take their color to BM and have them mix it for me. I don't use heavy curtains or drapes. I replace all my light bulbs with Reveal bulbs as they give off fhe most clean and bright light.

I like natural light in a room but the fact is in the rooms where I have natural light, it's so bright I tend to keep the curtains and blinds closed. Go figure. LOL

• Megz
    3 years ago

I’m also looking for firsthand info on skylights. I’ve purchased the skylights and kits. Want to make sure this will actually get light in as I am assuming. Would love to hear/see what others have done