Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyc_uws_gw

Penny Tile Floor - Messed Up Job

nyc_uws
11 years ago

I had my bathroom renovated while I was away last week. I'm not happy with how the floor tile came out. I assumed the contractor would lay the tile out in a uniform way (yes I know-- ass-u-me).

The bathroom is pretty small- about 4 1/2 feet by 5 feet of total floor space (plus bathtub). I thought I could live with this-- but it is kind of driving me nuts.

Two questions--
1) is it fair to have him redo it?
2) And how tough would it be to redo it. I have a bunch of left over tile so I wouldn't need to buy much more. How tough is it to rip the tile out and redo it. There are no moldings or anything. The only thing which would need to be removed aside from the tile is the toilet.
3) Ok three questions-- what do you think the cost of this should be (I live in Manhattan).

Please advise.

Comments (6)

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

My question to you would be, if this is his best, do you really think he can do better if he rips it out and starts over? If you want a better job, I think you need to get another contractor.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Ah, yeah. I hope you didn't pay him; because you'll be paying someone else to fix it. He isn't a "tile guy" at all. I could do better (and I've never laid tile!) What is with the doubled rows???

You could do better too, even if you've never tiled.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Wow, botched job. What's the substrate immediately underneath? Anyway, now is the time to scrape it off and redo it.

I'd find another guy to rip it out and redo it. The right "Tilesetter" or "tile contractor" could do it in a day or two, max. I'd guess $1000 plus or minus, but I don't know your "big city premium" compared to Washington, DC.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Here's another thought: Did they also do the other tilework and how does it look? If so, they might have left the floor install to a novice helper. If that seems to be the case, call them back, tell them calmly and assertively that the floor is a mess and has to be redone. You shouldn't have to say much more since they will surely recognize this. Take it from there.

The above scenario assumes the lead contractor is skilled, of course. The floor job speaks for itself. Although you shouldn't have to spend another penny, if they ask that you supply more tile, I suggest agreeing to that to move it forward.

• nyc_uws
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the replies-- they are helpful.

@Homebound, I think what you are requesting is reasonable. Truth be told-- I have become friendly with contractor over the past few years (he has done other work-- but no tile work). This makes the process a bit more painful.

I don't have a problem with the wall tile-- but as you can see from photo--- some corners were cut. As you can see he tiled around shower rod-- that one I don't understand at all as I had asked him to remove shower rod. (the photo was flipped). I will meet up with him in a few days to discuss. I'm leaning towards having him rip out existing floor--- and biting the bullet and having someone else install the floor tile.

This post was edited by nyc_uws on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 13:33

• homebound
    11 years ago

How hard is it remove a curtain rod before tiling (and locate the tile border either higher or lower) to accommodate rod placement? Not hard.

I would have the rod removed, replace the cut piece, and finally install the rod a bit higher. (Hopefully your curtain will hang low enough.)

BTW, what's the substrate behind the wall tile in the alcove? I hope it's either cement board or something with an applied water-proof membrane. Greenboard alone (without an applied waterproofing membrane) is not acceptable any longer in a wet area.