Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling

Posted by montanabo (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 17:45

I am looking for help regarding design ideas for adding bookshelves around my fireplace. The fireplace is in the center of the wall of our diningroom/living room. The room is approximately 40feet long with a 18ft vaulted ceiling.

My problem is that the wall also has two large picture windows - one on either side of the fireplace.

I had thought to take the bookshelves all the way to the ceiling, but that is a very steep angle coming back down to the windows. My second option is taking the bookshelves straight across to match up to the top of the windows, but then the mantel is significantly lower. My third option is to build the bookshelves to the same height as the mantle, but that literally chops the wall in half.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem or does anyone have an idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bookshelves around a fireplace with a vaulted ceiling

How tall are the walls, and do you have any pics of the area?

My initial thought is to take them to the ceiling and frame out with molding but it all depends on height of the windows and walls.

Try posting over at the Home Decor forum for more input.

o

They'll look best at window-top height. It will 'frame in' the fireplace and give it emphasis as a design element. I'd use something non-rectangular over the fireplace, to offset all the rigid lines.

o

I agree with jkom51.

o

Here's what I have .. and it works for me, but my windows are small ..

Family Room

o

this is a picture of my current fireplace wall and a picture of what I am hoping to do when we remodel.

http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt315/rtwilliams83/remodel/?action=edit¤t=fireplace.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt315/rtwilliams83/remodel/white_room_fireplace.jpg

o

Current Great room

Photobucket

Inspiration picture for remodel

Photobucket

o
RE: bookshelves around a fireplace

Just wanted to post a picture since we are almost done with our remodel
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

it's beautiful! classy, elegant and calm. i really like it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here