Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naadimre

huge architect bill not disclosed by contractor

naadimre
10 years ago

we're doing a renovation of our master suite including bathroom. we're vaulting the ceiling, and apparently because of the funky framing of the house only revealed at demolition, the contractor wanted to get an architect involved to see what our options were.

at first, it was the contractor expressing our interests to the architect, who came back after about a week with a drawing for the changes. certain things had not been discussed with us, so we asked to directly speak with the architect who then made changes we were happy with...along with a bill for $2400. $1700 was for the first iteration made with the contractor, then another $700 after he got it right speaking directly with us and doing a new drawing.

is this something i can bring up with the contractor to relieve some of the cost, or do we just eat it? it was never discussed the architect's hourly rate. are there any rules about this?

any advice is appreciated!

Comments (11)

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i should also just say that i feel if we had spoken with the architect directly from the beginning, as opposed to the contractor having the initial discussions, we could have prevented the second bill for $700.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

It is entirely inappropriate for the contractor to hire an architect without informing you of the likely cost and getting your written authorization. It is also odd that he did not involve you in the initial discussion if you were going to pay for the design work.

You might ask the architect what the thought the arrangement was. Why would he think you would pay for his services if he had not met you or received your authorization to proceed?

As an architect I would never do any work without sending the homeowner a proposal describing the work and the fee even if it was only based on an hourly rate and a rough estimate of the time needed. Any practicing architect knows that clients hate surprises.

I hate to sound like a broken record but find out if this person is really a practicing architect and not the contractor's unemployed cousin.

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, renovator8. this guy is a real architect, i checked him out.

i have felt that the whole process was very bizarre. there have been contract addendums along the way, which i have signed, with an explanation of new charges. the cost for the architect was never discussed and i never signed anything about the architect work being done. i was hopeful (naively) that the architect cost was going to be part of the contractor responsibility, especially since he was very specific about me signing contract addendums for other things.

i'm glad to hear that i'm not crazy regarding this and it seems like this is not typical practice.

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just looked at the invoice which was passed along to us from the contractor. the invoice isn't even addressed to us! it is addressed to the contractor! our names are nowhere on the invoice.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

naadimre:

You should be thanking your contractor for being so contentious. This will be the best $2,400.00 you ever spent.

Suppose your contractor hadn't gotten architectural approval and couldn't get a final inspection approval. Watch the finger-pointing, sparks flying, and lawyer-enrichment then.

• homebound
    10 years ago

I think you mean conscientious, right? : )

It sounds like you're overreacting and quibbling. Small potatoes to stop work and get it right for you. In a way, he saved you money because if you had met with the architect first, it would have taken longer anyway. He knows the lingo and can get to the chase fast- then you tweaked the plan a bit and all is well. Focus on the happy big picture.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Yes, I meant conscientious. (embarrassed thingie here).

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my issue is that our interests weren't represented correctly the first time and due to that a lot of time was wasted.

and when we had to sign for every little contract addendum, how come there was no contract addendum for this?

that's why estimates for work are given...if we had known the upfront costs, we may have not decided to move forward with certain things. or we may have decided to find our own architect to get an estimate.

my question is how are contractors SUPPOSED to go about these kinds of things? and if this is a deviation from the norm. as renovator8 said, clients hate surprises.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

So, talk to the contractor about this, and tell him you think it only fair that he absorb the $700 for the second meeting alterations. You're actually getting quite a bargain here, and the bill is not at all huge as your post title says. It's a very reasonable cost for the services, and more important, for your peace of mind.

The quibble is in the communication between you and the contractor. It all falls under the "hidden conditions" provision that is in your contract. If the contractor encounters hidden conditions that need someone beyond his expertise, it's up to him to get that expert help. And it sounds as though he DID tell you that on the front end as well. He just maybe didn't communicate the cost of the change for the hidden conditions. Probably because he didn't know either. Not everything can be fully known up front when you encounter hidden conditions, and that's what your 20% contingency fund is for. You have that in reserve to pay for hidden conditions or opportunistic upgrades. You do have that, right?

• naadimre
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the replies.

i spoke with the contractor this morning. he readily agreed to take responsibility for the second meeting alterations. so we feel a lot better!

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

Any job involving modifications to the existing structure are going to require permits. When you are working through a building permit that includes structural modifications, it is highly unlikely that it will go through without a licensed engineer or architect making some kind of drawing.

You should have expected and budgeted for this. Maybe that boils down to poor communication on the part of your contractor. This cost is very insignificant. A survey of your lot would cost more. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're paying good money for a hefty rennovation, and I'm sure your contractor broke the cost down as low as he could just to get the job. If you get bent about this little design fee, and so does the contractor, the whole relationship is going to deteriorate, and so will the project.

Good luck. Look forward, not back. There will be many little details that require your attention.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor