Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plaster walls with no studs. pyrobar

Posted by palmers (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 10 at 15:11

i want to put up a big shelf that will hold some heavy items. the problem is my walls are made of plaster blocks called pyrobar. they blocks are stacked one on the other and held together with mortar. any ideas how i can anchor the shelf?

i found this picture online of what prybar looks like for those unfamiliar. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_62NH2bo0YhQ/SgDhaAdO7wI/AAAAAAAAALQ/zpoEBb3foKE/s1600-h/S6304484.JPG

and you can see a cross section on this page http://www.fireengineering.com/index/articles/display/303024/articles/fire-engineering/construction-concerns/2007/08/construction-concerns-pyrobarreg.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plaster walls with no studs. pyrobar

How heavy?

Molly bolts should work fine if you stay within their weight ratings for 1/2 inch drywall.

o

not sure exactly how much weight is gonna be on the shelf. it's a few solid metal sculptures. i would guess 50-80lbs. my concern with molly bolts or any expanding type anchor would be that it just crumble the plaster as it expanded vs gripping it.

o

"my concern with molly bolts or any expanding type anchor would be that it just crumble the plaster as it expanded vs gripping it."

Molly bolts are rated around 50 pounds each in 1/2 inch drywall.

Unless you use the wrong length so they expand inside the wall material the expansion is in the cavity, spreading the load over a larger area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here