Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eventfarm_gw

working in attic after insulation installed

eventfarm
14 years ago

Last year, I had blow-in attic insulation installed in my house. It's been absolutely wonderful!

However, now I have to install a new attic fan (where there wasn't one before). The bathroom is on the complete other side of the house from the attic access and the attic is really only a crawl space type attic. I don't think it's physically possible to get to the bathroom from the attic access at this point.

There are only a few options that I can think of:

1. open the ceiling above the bathroom wide enough to access the roof and just deal with it all there.

2. Have two people do this - one from the roof and one from the bathroom, might be possible to do it this way.

One of the cons with the first option is that I have to replace all of the drywall if I open a big enough hole to get into the attic. I don't do drywall, so I'll have to hire someone to do it. This also brings up another dilemma as I have a drop in the ceiling above the shower, and I plan on raising that ceiling up to the level of the rest of the bathroom at some point. So, should I just go ahead and do that now so that I can just do the drywall once? This seems like the way to go, but itÂs a lot more effort than I was hoping to spend at this time.

The second option seems like a lot less effort at first, plus it would only involve drywall patching (which I can do). One of the cons of the second option is figuring out where to make the hole in the ceiling. If we try to do it without attic access, getting the hole in the right spot will be very important. Without identifying that spot from the inside, I really don't know where to begin.

Maybe there's an option that I haven't thought of?

I'll have to do this whole thing again in my master bath. there is a fan there currently, but it doesn't vent anywhere outside. but that will be easier as we are doing a full gut and remodel. But we can't start that until we get a fan in our second bathroom. :)

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Comments (7)