Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbremodeler_gw

Remodeling nightmare with a contractor from HELL

jbremodeler
15 years ago

Hello,

I am starting my own thread hoping to get some feedback. I am a home owner and tried to do the remodeling for the first time. We have limitted budget and we tried do the remodeling and I'd like to share my story:

12-8-2008:

Hello,

Some of you may look at this subject and may have your opinion once you read my story. So, here it goes:

We live an old home in IL and wanting to upgrade it for a long time but couldnt afford it. Finally, the kids are moving out and we got enough equity and the bank gave us for a much lower rate interest. We couldnÂt be happier and excited about this remodeling opportunity that we have. So, we shopped for ideas by engaging contractors to give us estimates. We hired a reputable architect and got our blueprint done. We had several bids on the project. We even divided our remodeling projects into smaller projects and got various bids. They all looked at the entire project and provided their bids. Some are over our budget and naturally we didnÂt go with the bids. But, this one contractor (IÂd refer him as "Contractor from HELL" from here on out) gave a bid for the various projects, which caught my attention. I did not agree on the kitchen project bid but I liked the two small bathroom bids he gave us because, they were within our affordable budget. On top of it, he talked to us into no need to get permit for the work he is doing for the same reasons many of you have said here (the inspectors are a big pain in the buttÂ.the work will not be completed in a desired time..etc). He also went and told us how heÂll make sure that he will not attract any on going traffic about the construction..heÂd bring his truck and haul away all the construction debris and so forth. It sounded reasonable and so we agreed and signed the contract with him. We agreed to pay through his installment conditions. Accordingly, we had "allowance" in the materials that we want in the bathrooms (tiles, vanity, mirror, shower fixtures, towel rack etc). I bought all those according to our likeness and willing to subtract from his allowance during the final installment payment. So far, so good..so we thought. What we didnÂt know was his dissatisfaction of not able to get the bigger job (the kitchen project). We signed up with another contractor for the kitchen job since the pricing was right within our budget.

The contractor from HELL gave us two weeks to finish his work, which he put it in writing in his contract when we signed up with him. Accordingly, the start date is Nov 3rd and the completion date is Nov 17 is when he is supposed to finish. So, we planned to bring the other contractor to do the kitchen after Nov 17th. And so we did. The contractor from HELL didnÂt like it at all. He obviously didnÂt finish his job and continue to drag them. We waited two more weeks and the work still was not done. In the mean time, I paid him most of the money (more than the amount of work done) to him. IÂd say about 50% of the work is done thus far at this point. Then he started to behave differently. I realized that he didnÂt like the fact that the kitchen project did not go to him and he is envious that the other contractor already started to do my kitchen. He then told me that no other contractors could come into my house while he is working. So, I told my kitchen contractor to stop coming hoping that this guy would finish his work. Two days later, he told me that the allowed time of his contract has passed and although he told me that the kitchen contractor couldnÂt come, now that the time has past, they can come and continue the work. So, I called my kitchen contractor and asked them to continue the work. So, I thought things are moving along.

ThenÂ.the contractor from HELL started to behave differentlyÂ

11-26-08:

Contractor from HELL (the guy who is doing the two shower room remodeling):

Today, he came and started a conversation regarding a work not related to him. He told me that he was told by a different contractor (who is doing my kitchen) that the electrical panel in my house is going to be replaced on Friday (11-28-08) and he was told that there will not be power for 3 or 4 hrs. Then Contractor from HELL started to rumble about the fact that whether or not the electrical work is going to be done according to the code and he needs verification. I am not sure why this is his concern to begin with. This work is NOT allocated to him. Contractor from HELL went on telling me that come Monday everything will be cleared out and asked me to have a good Thanksgiving. He went on saying, "While you are eating your turkey, start thinking about what I said and you'll get it". I am not sure why he said anything like that. It seems like he wanted the job and not liking that the job went to somebody else. My point is that, Contractor from HELL was given the work of remodeling the two shower room ONLY, NOTHING ELSE! He is constantly trying to get involved in other work (by constantly talking about it to me) other than his while he is doing his work. This bothers me very much that Contractor from HELL is not minding his work instead minding other work. He is constantly trying to pull me into a conversation with him about other work and keep trying to avoid him as much as possible. It seems he does not like the fact that other work is given out to others instead of him. It is obvious in his conversation.

He asked me what Christmas gift I have for him. I asked him why he is expecting Christmas gift from me. He said, I should start thinking about Christmas gift for him. So, to make him explain, I asked him whether he is in a nice list or naughty list to get a Christmas gift. Contractor from HELL says, he can be on both.. and also said, it all depends on the gift I have for him whether he is going to be in a nice list or naughty list. He also said, if I donÂt give him a gift Santa is not going to be happy and he continued to say the "Grintch" will come to my house instead. This bothered me even more and told him that I dont understand this type of conversation where it doesnÂt make sense. Contractor from HELL said, he is a poet. He said, come Monday (12-01-08) everything would be clear to me.

Now, I am not sure what Contractor from HELL is intend to do on Monday. When he left, Contractor from HELL said, "I'll see on Monday, have a good Thanksgiving ". Then he left. I noticed that he took all his tools and had left. I was suspicious that he is up to something. Just out of curiosity, I went and looked at his work. He only completed 50% of the work. He said heÂd complete it couple of weeks and did not complete what he wrote in his contract.

I paid him the required installments according to the Contractor from HELL's contract. There is the final payment left. Since I bought most of the material for the work, Contractor from HELL said the final payment is based on the "allowance" he mentioned in his contract, which will be subtracted and then I will pay him what is left.

Any way, I will wait for Monday to see what Contractor from HELL is going to do.

Monday came after Thanksgiving (12-1-2008) and the contractor from HELL didnÂt show up for work. So I called him and he answered his phone and told me that he is running around and going to be late a bit and for sure going to show up for work. I waited and waited and waited he never showed up. I contacted an attorney and got his advice. Accordingly, the attorney would call the contractor and ask him to fulfill his obligations as per the contract. So the attorney called and got the impression that he is going to come back to work. I even got an email from him telling that heÂd come back to work the next morning. So I thought.

Next morning, the attorney called me and told me that he had talked to the contractor and he was not happy to get a call from the attorney..but was going to come to work. So, I waited. The kitchen contractors were already showed up and continued their work. Later that morning the contractor from HELL showed up. I thought he came to continue the project. Instead, he barged in and started take pictures. I objected it but it continue to take pictures and walked through the garage and threatened me that he is going to call the police and shut the jobs down. I told him no on can come in here and closed the garage. He said heÂd see me within one hr. The rest of the workers doing my kitchen saw the whole thing. They told me not to worry.

I waited for an hr Ânothing happened two hrs passed..nothing happened. My attorney called in the mean time and asked if I was okay. I told him what exactly happened and he said the contractor from HELL already stepped outside the boundaries and he is out of control. I didnÂt know what to do.

My kitchen contractor, with the intention of wanting to make peace with the contractor from HELL, asked me if he could call him and try to find our what that guy wanted. So he called him. The contractor from HELL told my kitchen contractor that he wanted $2000 more than the contracted amount now (upfront) and heÂd come and finish the job in 4 days and heÂd drop everything about telling the inspector and also the police. This is blackmailing meÂso I refused. When my kitchen contractor told him about my denial to pay him $2000, the contractor from HELL told my kitchen contractor telling him that he took the kitchen contractors contract (my signed copy) from my desk and he knows how much he bid for and so on. I just couldnÂt believe this that he actually stole something from my desk and now the only copy that I have regarding the kitchen contract is with him. My kitchen contractor asked him how he has the contract and the contractor from HELL told him that he took the contract right out of my desk when I was not there. The very right time my attorney called me to see how I am doingÂthe timing cannot be perfect. I told him how the contractor from HELL is trying to blackmail me and also committed a crime by stealing something that belongs to me from my desk when I am not there. The attorney asked me to file a complaint against him to the police department. Also told me to wait 48 hrs for him to cool down. I waited and he has not done anything other than writing me an email telling him he will come and complete the work after my kitchen contractors complete their work and gone. Well I simply cannot allow this contractor from HELL ever again into my house, for he committed crime, violated my privacy, tried to blackmail me, and also threatened me. I have several witnesses regarding this matter.

What I am going to do now? I simply not going to contact the contractor from HELL. I simply NOT going to let him make me a hostage in my own house. I am going to finish the work he has not completed by asking others to do it. I know I am losing money. I rather lose money than being crazy to let the contractor from HELL into my house!

This is my story and thank you all for listening.

-jb

Comments (41)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If your state requires the contractors to have a state license, there typically is a states contractors board where you can report this clown. You will need his license number. The states contractors licensing board is usually found in the government section of your phone directory.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

When a contractor asks you to do remodeling work without bringing in the building inspection department, he's not doing it to protect you, save you money, or to do you a favor.

You hired a sneaky guy.

Now he's sneaking on you.

Mongo

• hendricus
    15 years ago

I am going to finish the work he has not completed by asking others to do it. I know I am losing money. I rather lose money than being crazy to let the contractor from HELL into my house!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

So much for going with separate low bids.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for responding. I just came from the police department filing a case against this guy. Even the police told me to make a complaint about him in the state atterney's office. I am planning to do that. In addition, my atterney asked me to file a case against him in the small claim's court for the money that is going to cost me to complete the work. And I am planning to do that. Now, the village asked me to file an application for the permit which, I am planning to do. I want to cover all the bais on my side. Yes, he is a sneaky guy when he was telling us to get into a contract without a permit. I told that to the village inspector and he made a note of this guy's name and company. Better Business Bureau is another place I am planning to make a complaint about this guy (with the reference to the police case number associated with). Now, we as a whole family going through delays. We had hoped that our remodeling project will be completed by Christmas but it doesnt seem like. Fortunately, I have information from good people like you which gives me more courage to face this cricis.
    Thank you all.

-jb

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

You have a claim against this guy for taking your property but that is not the basis of a claim for damages from a contract violation so don't confuse the issues. The licensing board might see this as two sneaky guys having a disagreement and turning each other in. The guy can claim you said you would act as your own general contractor (actually you were) and that you said you would get the permit but did not. The bottom line is that you are responsible for anything done on your property so you can't get away with acting holier-then-thou about the permit.

Always consider the possibility that the actions you take to get even might get you in deeper. It seems to me that better communication would have avoided this mess unless, of course, you two just don't like each other.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mightyanvil:
    While the facts are in place and I am acting based on the suggestions given to me by my atterney. That is why I filed a police complaint against this guy for stealing my stuff from my house.
    As you said, the guy turned me in and I as a home owner am going to fix it. The village simply asking me to get a permit which I will. At the same time, I cannot just let this guy get away with what he did regarding the contract. Therefore, I need to report this guy to the state contracting board/state atterney's office.
    We, as homeowner did not want any responsibility about this project as we are very busy in our daily jobs. My only mistake I committed here is trusting this guy. His immbalanced state of mind and/or jealousy is something I was not prepared to face. Last summer, I had two outside jobs done with permits. One guy walked away and the village didnt do anything. I had to finish the other by hiring somebody else with the extented permit from the village. We were three such homeowners who were victim of such act. I already had a certified architect did the drawing and had 4 sealed copies ready for the permit. But, this guy persuaded me that no need for the permit because the work can be done without it before Christmas, we fell for it. Now I have to look forward. I will tell the truth to the village and see what happens. Has anyone know if a home owner lost everything he has done and went bankrupt based on the village inspectors hard hand? Probabaly not. Fortunately, I am home making sure the work is done properly (as much as I can). I do ask questions about any thing that is going on. All I need is some encouragement regarding my project that need to be done.
    Thanks.
    -jb

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

"Has anyone know if a home owner lost everything he has done and went bankrupt based on the village inspectors hard hand? "

Bankrupt? No. But if I, as a homeowner, tried to do what you did, my building inspector would make me:

1) Tear out all unpermitted work.
    2) Put a note in my property file stating that unpermitted work was done on the property. That could affect resale down the road should I ever decide to sell.
    3) Fine me. Essentially, the fine is double the price of the original permit.
    4) It could affect my homeowners insurance were I to ever file a claim. The insurance company could refuse to pay since unpermitted work was done on the home if that work could in any way, shape or form relate to the cause of the claim. Fire damage due to unpermitted electrical work, water damage due to unpermitted plumbing work, for example.

That would also put me on the "wrong side" of the inspector. He'd take a nice leisurely walk through the house, looking for other "anomalies".

In my area, a homeowner can work on his own house, there's no penalty in that. But if the work falls under permitting, the homeowner had best pull one.

I'm with mightyanvil on this one; you knew you had to get a permit, but the contractor supposedly talked you out of it. It's your responsibility to get the permit pulled, even if your contract states that the GC or sub will be the one pulling the permit.

If your contract states the GC or sub is going to pull the permit and he doesn't, building departments will usually forgive that and not penalize the homeowner. But seeing as you had the conversation and approved of your sub's subversive approach to this job, you're an accomplice in the deception.

Mongo

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

Has anyone know if a home owner lost everything he has done and went bankrupt based on the village inspectors hard hand? Probabaly not.

yes, it is entirely possible. if the walls have been sealed up the AHJ can make you rip them open so they can see what was done. even if the work is done to code, they cannot tell that when the walls are closed. and in cases where no permit was pulled, they tend to look harder than when a legit error was made on a permitted job. and if stuff is not to code he can and likely will make you rip out 100% of it.

my parents added a sunroom years ago. the permits were pulled, adn the inspector was scheduled to come by on a certain day for the electrical inspection. well, for soem reason teh contractor put up the walls the day before. the inspector simply told him he would be back in 24 hours and either the walls would be 100% open for inspection or he would put a red tag on the job and stop ALL work.

i hope your AHJ gives you a little slack, but honestly it is jsut as much your fault as the shady contractors. YOU are ultimately responsible for everything done to/in your home.

and jsut because a contractor pulls a permit does mean he has to finish a job. teh village cannot do anything to a contractor for walking off a job in most cases.

i think your guy bid the jobs based on getting all 3 areas adn he priced the baths low planning on getting it back on teh kitchen portion. he should have given you a second set of figures for if he did not do all three. but that is really neither here nor there.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Classic case of the homeowner not researching how the process works in your area concerning, permitting, licensing, insurances, etc well before the project or even contractor selection started. Even though you are asking of their services, you have to get familiar with the many variables of the process whether building or remodeling so that you will know what to expect. Going in blind always leads to problems.

The way the licensing board works in our area is that it protects homeowners from corrupt licensed trades/builders as well as protecting licensed trades/builders from corrupt homeowners. They are not typically interested in the project outside of the negatives being charged. What amazes me is that out here, a homeowner working on their own home can perform any task that a licensed trades/builder can perform without ever having done any of it! This typically ends up with the homeowner hiring a licensed trades person or builer to come and clean up the mess. The fact that you allowed the no permitting is your fault as well, but of course you can lie or play dumb and act like you didn't know any better, which might have been the case with the exception of your past projects, which gives you away to the building dept if they take a look at those past projects that were permitted. Any way you look at it, i agree with M.A. as he has good points. You would be better off letting it go and get a decent g.c to clean up the mess legally with permits that you might be fined for not getting in the first place.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The permit issue is a tempest-in-a-teapot and has little relevance to anything except as a way for two hapless conspirators to punish each other.

You can tell that I have less sympathy for unprofessional foolishness than most of the contributors who post here. I can't get past the fact that none of this had to happen. If you are a busy person, you should have paid attention to your work and hired a general contractor so you wouldn't have to allow independent contractors into your house and then have to deal with the inevitable conflicts that arise from lack of leadership. This is not a smart way to save money.

The purpose of permits is to determine if the contractors are qualified and properly insured and for the town to be able to inspect the work for worker safety and building code compliance. The permit protects you more than anyone and it was terribly foolish to not insist on getting one.

Settling your dispute is like separating two children who are fighting. Don't be surprised if some officials don't take your side with enthusiasm if it is apparent to them that neither of you have conducted yourself in a reasonable manner.

Being careful about how you organize a job and how you communicate with the participants can save you money. Asking the contractors to separate their bids into phases and then hiring different ones for each phase is asking for trouble in my opinion. And the licensing people you will be explaining this situation to will mostly be former contractors.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay gentlemen, I can see all your fingers are pointing at me right now! I can see accusation in your eyes! I know you cornered me and you all got stones in your hand ..ready to throw at me! Is that it? Is that you all want?

Here is what happened at the village today:
    I went to the village and submitted my application for the permit. I put all truth on the table with them. They realized how this guy trying to hurt me... they are setting up a meeting with the head guy in the village so that I can tell my story. Their intention is NOT to let this contractor from HELL hurt anyone anymore!
    I dont care about the money.... the inspector told me that they want to take care of this without any fine for me. They are scheduling an inspection for me. I feel better now that I have taken the initiative to comply knowing how uninformed I was.
    I want to tell all of you.... trying to improve my living space is the only intention I had....I never cheated anyone..I never knowinly hurt anyone...I never intended anything bad for anyone....
    Yet, things turned out to be challenging for me at this time. I will overcome this one just like I have in other things!
    I will post as things progress with my issue...
    If I go bankrupt, you all will know...
    If I get to continue with my project with the permit, you all will know too!
    It is that season.... you never know... It is already beginning to look a lot like Christmas!
    Cheers!

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i honestly wish you the best of luck. maybe teh folks in your village still ahve the small town look out for each other mentality!

but next time, if someone says no permit required-call the permit office and verify it!

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

jb,

I don't think anyone here is wishing you ill will.

You're a victim. But you're also an accomplice.

I do hope you get your remodeling complete with no further hangups.

Best, Mongo

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Best of luck! I think we have all enrolled to the school of hard knocks at some points of our lives. Take this experience as a lesson and rock on!

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! I will live!
    Life is more precious than such unforseen circumstances....
    I live in a town with 32000 people in it. My neighbors are cool... I simply learned to control my anger through the power of silence. It is just that I wanted to do all these not for me... but for my wife who has a heart condition which she lives with for many years... and it hurts me that I should have gone with the first contractor who came along.... they were wonderful and fully compliant with the village... we didnt have to worry about it. The only thing we didnt like about them was the choice of things we wanted were limited in their offer. Well... past is past.. I dont want to look back. Yes, I cherish this experience. It is a valuable lesson learned.... and so it goes
    ..later

• drywall_diy_guy
    15 years ago

Wow, this C.F.H. sounds neurotic and dangerous!

Keep an eye on him and good luck.

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Oh c'mon...

A registered letter means he's being "businesslike" with you. Your attorney's advice to decline the letter? That's irresponsible. Whenever things degrade a certified letter, return receipt requested, is one of the better ways to communicate.

You go through any sort of legal hearing and an arbiter or a judge finds out you intentionally hid from a registered letter?

Let's just say it's not favorable to you.

Anthrax? A bomb? Now you're being just silly.

Mongo

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mongo:
    I respect your comment. But, if you are in my shoes, you would not consider me being silly. I am really concerned about this guy. His actions were not consistent... he said manythings and act differently. My atterney actually talked to him and finding him emotionally imbalanced individual who is capable of doing anything;something it is not worth taking any risk. He has been communicating with me in the past through email which, would have been okay with me. It is my wish not to accept any mailed letter from him while there is a charge agaisnt him for theft. That is all.
    -jb

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

12-11-2008
    Here is what is happening now:
    The village called me and said my permit for remodeling has been processed. The contractor has to call and produce the license, insurance and bond. I can go and pay the amount and pick up the permit to do continue the work.
    Is it possible for me to act as General Contractor? I dont know this. What does this mean?

Thanks.
    -jb

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

The village is asking for the licensce, bond, insurance proof of any contractor that will deal with your project. In our state, you can g.c. your own project as long as you are the homeowner. Any hired help will have to be covered with workmans compensation provided by you. It might be different in your area, but i would run this question about being the g.c. by the village. Any sub contractor will have to be licensed, bonded, and insured and sounds like the village will want evidence of that. The subs hired help will be covered by their workmans comp.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

12-11-2008:
    Here is exactly what the director of code enforcement in my village wrote me today:
    Good afternoon jb, your permit was applied for on December 9, 2008, reviewed and approved on December 10, 2008 and you were called today that it is ready. The problem with issuing the permit is that your contractors are not Licensed, Bonded and Insured by the Village of xxxx( as is required by Village Ordinance). If you chose to act as your own General Contractor, you will need to fill in your name and remove zzzzzz. You will need to submit a copy of your home insurance policy-no other item is required for a home owner to act as the GC. zzzz needs to obtain a Village license and submit a copy of his insurance and a $10,000 bond made out to the Village. The electrician needs to submit an electrical registration with any ccc(state) municipality along with insurance and bond. When those requirements are filled the permit can be issued.

Permits are for the health and safety of your family. We have contractor requirements of license, bond and insurance to protect our residents. I understand that all the walls have been drywalled-the inspectors may ask you to remove parts of the drywall to observe the work beneath. Code Enforcement has expedited this permit application as much as possible. I do understand that you have had problems, I have instructed xyz not to double the cost of the permit for doing work without a permit, which is required by Village ordinance. xyz should have reminded you that no work is to be done without a permit being issued. Please coordinate the information required, so that the permit can be issued.

I masked the names here because this is a public domain and I respect everyone's privacy..

- jb

• User
    15 years ago

You need to contact your insurace company ASAP to see about obtaining a rider to be able to act as GC. Please understand that acting as GC means you are the GC with all of the responsibilities of the GC. That means interviewing subs and certifying that they have the license and bonding that your municipality requires. It seems that none of the trades you were using meet this requirment, and if they cannot meet that requirement, I'd suspect that the inspector will want all of the walls ripped out to see if your unlicensed subs performed the work properly. (He'll probably want some of that even if they can be licensed.) It also means that you must engage properly licensed and bonded subs for the remainder of the job. And, the codes guys are gonna be that much stricter on you from here on out because you bypassed them originally and got caught. You might be better off actually hiring an experienced and insured GC and let them deal with the hassles and days off of work to meet with the inspectors etc. They'll probably be more sympathetic to a new guy trying to come in and clean up this mess than they will to any of your old guys or you.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Liv wire oak:
    Good advice. Thanks. That is an option for me. Just to rationalize it. These subs that I had shown me the GC card and their license. I did not hire anyone without such papers. I also had their liability insurance they produced.
    If the work already done gets ripped off, are the inspectors going to pay for putting back together if the work was done right? Where is the justice in that? If they dont... this sounds like what goes on in a dictoatorship country ruled by a ruthless ruler with power.
    If the work is done right, who is going to pay for the damage that the inspector caused in my house?
    Just because, the work is done without the inspectors knowledge, does it mean that the inspector can rip off as he pleases and expect me to pay the bill even if the work is done properly? There is no major thing like that in my remodeling plan. I am simply replacing my exisint cabinets with new.. taking my exisint carpet and replacing them with hardwood floor... and placing some new appliances. The electrical inspector can tell me what is code when it comes to wiring. These people did the work have done it several years and they have done a good job and the things are working (compared to what I had in my old kitchen). I am curious about what exactly is the right "code". I am putting some canned light replacing my existing (falling apart)light fixture. I am NOT touching anything to do with plumbing at all. The new sink is going to the exact position of the old sink. I am curious where these workers didn follow the code. The appliances come with the installation and electrical requirement and we have done everything according to THAT instruction to the dot! So, what will the inspector going to find fault in that??? If he does, I want to know why.... so that I can followup with the manufacturer. Besides, whey do they sell in the hardware store those items for the consumers in the first place? This sounds like I am being accused of installing stuff which hurts some ego maniac like the village inspector! Wall Street journal had a very good article on SOX compliances and how it hurts the financial side of the corporations and directly hurting the public. Same with FDA and other bureaucratic organizations. What is really needed for the consumers, is something they completely taken to a totally different level and created all these dictatorial organizations and gave them power..potentially to distroy the consumers. I dont see any benefits in this to the consumers at all. I all along known that this is a highly bureaucratic process and no one has the guts to talk about it.. Unfortunately, we all live in a system and we are in the process of a perfect union (so to speak)!

• User
    15 years ago

You don't follow the rules, you pay the price. That includes redoing any work if it needs to be redone after inspection. You just don't seem to understand that if you had done the correct thing from the beginning, NONE of this would have happened. You wouldn't have dealt with an unscrupulous contractor in the first place if you had rquired he be licensed and pulled permits. It's not the municpalities fault for requiring inspections, or the contractor's fault for not getting the permit, or anyone but that person in the mirror. You tried to cut corners and it's came around to bite you. Take responsibility for your decisions. I have sympathy for many people dealing with unscrupulous contractors, but my sympathy is in direct proportion to whether or not the homeowner is unscrupulous also. Your hands are anything but clean and whining that you are not getting away with circumventing the legal process and that it's going to cost you is not going to win you any friends here, and especially at your codes enforcement office.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

"If the work already done gets ripped off, are the inspectors going to pay for putting back together if the work was done right?"

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." Anthony Vincenzo Baretta

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very interesting... My intention is only to tell my story.
    There is beginning and end to this story. I hear the same thing here..saying.."you should have done this..you should have done that...". I heard this many times and hoping to hear something different. I said it many times that I know I made a mistake by not getting permit in the first place. Yet, I get the same "you should have.. you could have..". This doesnt help..does it? If there is a solution, I would be thrilled to hear for me to come out of it.
    I determined to come out of it and I will post it here how I did it.
    But I dont think I committed any crime that anyone can charge me with. I am only asking what is logical and what is dictatorial.
    About the rules.... what rules are there to change my faucet? my broken door? change my carpet?
    What rules are there for hiring a handyman to fix something that is broken in my house?
    What rules are there to look for sales? or looking to save money? The word "cutting corners" sounds very negative...
    I wish I was cutting corners...
    Instead, if you look at it like... there is a limitted budget and you only want to do what you can afford. This is pragmatic from my perspective...but it is cutting corners from your perspective. I am a consumer not a provider of services. I look for what is available out there which fits my needs. It is as simple as that.
    What is the crime here? So they now know. If they tear everything I have done now, let them. I wrote the email to the director of the code enforcement to assist me with what I have done right and what I have not right so that I can continue my project. Now that they know that I have applied for permit with all my plans, they can send an inspector and do that. That is all. If it doing to cost me, so be it. But, I dont want anymore delays.
    I'll keep updated on these....
    I still think this is highly bureaucratic.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Another legality for you to consider: Out here a handyman can perform $500.00 material and labor per address per year
    unless they have a state's contractors license. If not licensed and wants to work for you by the hour, you will have to provide workmans compensation. Hourly rates provided you have the workmans comp allows him/her to go beyond the $500.00 materials + labor trip. You might want to find out how it works legally in your "village", (whatever the hell that is), or you might get your ars in another sling!

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sierraest:
    Thank you for the info. I am rethinking about me being the GC with all the other stuff going to hang over my head. I will have to think about another strategy to come out of this.
    Today, I got quote from couple of granite guyes. I like one guy's quote because it is within my budget range (phew! I made myself clear here).
    I also asked him if he is a licensed GC and also a licensed electrician. He said yes. I asked him if I can use him for my remodeling project. I told him I have applied for permit and I may have to put his name in the permit if it is okay with him. He said that would be fine and he is also insured and can post a bond with the village.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

I think not g.c."ing your project is a strong one. Not putting you down here, but learning as you go never works in building or remodel world. You have already learned a lot the hard way. Why not find a reputable g.c. who the Village is familiar with and would refer for your project. He/she would have their own subs, lot less headache for you, and a chance for you to relax a little and strike it as "lessons learned". You can move on with your life outside of this nightmare and will only need to be involved in the decision process when the g.c. deems it necessary. You'll sleep better at night and if work is slow for tradespeople in your area, you'll be giving them a nice holiday gift by giving them work. Just a thought!

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sierraeast:
    This is the best suggestion I have got here so far! Thank you. I will do that. I will ask the village to refer me one.
    When I talked to the granite installer, that was my intension. Now that you gave me another idea, I will ask the village to provide a g.c. to work with.
    What happened to my already paid amount? well..that is what I paid for the mistake I made.
    What is left in my budget hopefully cover for it. I may have to sacrifice some area that require remodeling at a later time.
    What is left, is lay out the hardwood floor,mounting the cabinets, instaling the granite counter top, and installing the appliances. That is all.
    Hopefully I get to do that.

• plants4
    15 years ago

jbremodeler,

I have little advice to give but a few observations.

First, you are right; the people who have responded to you have, by and large, accused and re-accused you of that which you have already admitted and regretted. I'm not sure why they feel the need to pile on.

Second, it is my opinion that a contractor has a greater obligation to conform to the laws governing his or her business than the homeowner does. That's not a legal opinion; it's about the professionalism of people who work on other people's houses. Let's face it, people rely greatly on those they employ to do this confusing business. We would like to be able to rely upon our architects and contractors as much as we count on relying upon our doctors, lawyers, and accountants. Unfortunately some professions and businesses have more than their share of bad apples. But you are not alone in getting mixed up with someone who has taken advantage of you. This happens with great frequency even to people who did not commit the cardinal sin you did of agreeing to not pull permits.

As strongly as I feel about the importance of having permits to ensure compliance with codes it is also true that most of us cut corners somewhere. For example, I don't get a permit to replace a light fixture but it is required. And sometimes I find the inspections mystifying and the codes bizarre (e.g., requiring electrical outlets near sinks and stoves). So I understand that you are confused and annoyed.

There are, unfortunately, contractors from Hell all over the place. Having learned that the hard way myself, with a small project I terminated before I lost too much and had too much poor quality work performed with poor quality materials, I can say this: get referrals for contractors and subs from other people, particularly people who are in the business. For example, I obtained a list of 8 people who install shingles from a highly reputable lumberyard. Despite the fact that some of those contractors charged an arm and a leg, I found one who did excellent work at a reasonable price. I obtained the name of my general contractor from my architect. In a highly imperfect system in which there are a lot of bad actors, that's the best way to find the right people.

Best of luck to you in finishing your project and try to stay calm!

(By the way, Sierraeast -- Just because you aren't familiar with the fact that there are places in the United States formally called "villages" and "towns" does not mean that you need to imply that jbremodeler is making things up.)

• Kristi
    15 years ago

jbremodelor, before you go any further, I suggest you read and study the following book: "Take Charge of Your Home Renovation" by Susan Boyle Hillstrom. It is an excellent reference book for the whole remodeling process. You can find it used on Amazon.com for one penny.

• jbremodeler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is what I obtained from our village website. They only provided "tips". I have included my comments to some items. More detail would have been helpful:
    Tips on Home Remodeling

Getting Started
    The Village of xxxx allows homeowners to act as contractor for their own home remodeling projects. It must be noted, however, that a permit is required for all projects in which an addition or alteration will be done at the property. (comments: I can understand additions, difficult to define "alteration" e.g. cabinets replacement, carpet replacement with hardwood flooring, or replacing existing vanity and tub, or replacing existing fluorescent light with regular light.. etcare these "alteration"? or alteration of the structure of the home?.. this is a grey area dont understand this.. this can be interpreted different ways unless there is a definite definition for this)

Additionally, projects that require the alteration of the roofline of the existing structure must have drawings sealed by a (STATE) licensed architect or structural engineer. Lastly, check the covenants for your subdivision before proceeding with
    any work; individual subdivision covenants may have special requirements and restrictions.
    Obtaining a Permit
    Although many people consider obtaining a permit to be a burden, it does have a critical role in any construction project.
    Having a permit entitles each homeowner:
    · Provides inspectors to answer questions.
    · Offers some security from contractor fraud. (some security? What does this mean? With permit contractor fraud did happen. With "zero" security from the village)
    · Allows inspectors an opportunity to verify that the contractor is working in a professional manner.(does this mean that the inspectors verify the quality of work and also the behavior of the contractors? Define what does it mean by "verify that the contractor is working in a professional manner" again.. this can be interpreted differently by inspectors according to their likeness unless there is a definite definition)
    Tips on Hiring a Contractor
    · Insist on a written contract. Obtain a written contract and make sure you understand the terms. Include a time frame
    for the completion of the project, but do not rush. Include terms of a payment plan and agree as to who will handle
    additional unforeseen expenses.
    · Make secure payments. It is not unusual for a contractor to require some money up front before construction starts.
    Make certain, however, that payments do not get ahead of work that has been completed. Never pay the full cost of the
    job up front. If a contractor insists on full payment up front, look for a different person.
    · Conduct interviews with potential contractors. Remember the contractor is working for you. Be certain that you are
    comfortable working with this person. Additionally, talk with friends and neighbors: people who have had experiences
    with contractors (good or bad) are always willing to share their knowledge.
    · Check with the Better Business Bureau. Checking with the Better Business Bureau will give you an opportunity to assess a potential contractors work history.
    · Verify the handling of inspections. Come to an agreement as to who will handle the permit and inspection process. If the contractor is scheduling the inspections, ask for copies of the results and keep them with the permit.
    · Make sure the contractor has insurance. Without insurance you may be liable if a worker is hurt in your home. The Village of XX does have an ordinance requiring all contractors working within the village to be licensed and bonded.
    · Ask for at least 3 references. Make sure that the sources had work done that was similar to your proposed project.
    · Get at least 3 bids. Check material pricing with that of your local building supply store to see if the price quoted is fair.
    · Establish a reasonable timeframe. If the contractor states the project will take 8 weeks, do not insist on 6 weeks; doing so might affect the quality of work. Revised

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

fern4
    No point on the wall of a kitchen counter can be more than 2 feet from an electrical receptacle outlet in order to avoid the obvious danger of long appliance cords and/or the use of extension cords along work counters. That means the receptacles can be up to 4 feet apart or 2 ft from the edge of a stove or sink. This makes it possible for the NEC to limit the length of small appliance cords to 3 feet.

What do you find "bizarre" about this requirement? What distance would you require if it was your responsibility to set safety standards? How much would you increase the length of small appliance cords?

I have interpreted building codes and contributed to changes as a member of BOCA and the ICC since they were first adopted. The only thing I find bizarre about them is how low the standards are and the fact that improvements can still be blocked by organizations like the National Association of Home Builders that fear increased costs and lower profits for their members.

• bdpeck-charlotte
    15 years ago

I'm just a homeowner as well, and Mighty and Sierra are spot on.

JB, go find a licensed contractor to finish the work. Have them finish the permitting process for you. Write the check, thank them, and go enjoy the rest of your life, wiser and with a nicer house.

In the future, call your local building and code enforcement and ask questions. They're nice people, who are there to make homes safe and offer a little protection from unscrupulous contractors. Failure to consult with them opens the door to catastrophe.

See, I didn't "pile on" or point out past mistakes. Just solid advice for your current situation and for your future.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Fern4, there was no implication of accusing jb of making up anything on my part. I simply have never heard of a village. Township, borough, yes , but not village. Happy holidays!

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Some of the suburbs of Chicago are called Villages.

• gehr
    15 years ago

jb;

wow. I'll try not to accuse or tell you what you should have done, but a few notes.

1. atterney is spelled "attorney." I couldn't deal with it after the 10th time.
    2. I was going to ask what on earth is a village, but thank you mightanvil for the reply. now I get where hillary clinton is coming from. insert funny thoughts about being an indy contractor for her while she's the inexperienced gc, haha!!
    3. the permitting process is not just, highly bureaucratic, and otherwise unamerican. if remodeling doesn't turn you in to a civil libertarian, nothing will. your sentiments on Sarbox and such are sweet, but sadly they are not going to reimburse you for work done properly. they don't care.
    4. deny a certified usps letter? I would find a new attorney, pronto.

codes are kind of like the speed limit, it keeps the lowest common denominators in society from killing themselves. if you're going to break the law, there's only a few right ways to do it, and gc'ing your own project with no experience is not one of the right ways. it's like speeding before you've learned to drive. once you are an accomplished remodeler, then you can start to decide for yourself which codes are bogus and which ones are logical.

What I WOULD DO (this forum is in dire need of an italics button) at this point in the project is fire everyone involved, talk to local friends and family and take recommendations for an experienced general building contractor, host interviews, find one you like both personally and his portfolio, hire him, and get on with your life. if the gc you hire decides not to permit, it's his license and rear end on the line. if he does permit, you just have to pay more for the same thing. I would also consider halting work for a few months and saving my pennies so that I can hire a good one, because I'm getting the feeling that a lot of your problems stemmed from taking underbid contracts. perhaps the most dangerous thing is to be involved with a contractor who's underbid and can't finish the work.

hopefully you learned a lot from this process, and not just about remodeling!

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Just add the appropriate HTML codes immediately before and after

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

here's what you can do with the Text generator linked below

Website Templates