Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angryrooster

Skylights for the Bathroom

jjaazzy
12 years ago

I have a 2nd bathroom that is 14 x 5 the tub shower combo is on one end and the sink is right in front of the door when you walk in and you guessed it the toilet is between the two. This bathroom has no window and I would love to get some light into this room. I am wanting to put in a solar tube skylight. The research I found on this site is quite old and wanted to know if anyone has any current recommendations for brand? I think the idea of it doubling as a room light (at night) is a good one. So that is an option I would like as well. Is there a minimum distance needed between the finished drywall inside (ceiling) and exterior room (barrel tile). We only have a short distance and it was suggested to me that it might reduce the level of day light. Is there a particular flashing I should be looking for. I am getting a new roof so now is the time to put it in. Next, how many is one enough? Where should this beam of light shine in, over the sink, toilet, shower area? All seem like they might be weird. Or place it dead center of the room treat it like a light fixture which as I write this seems like the obvious best choice. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks! (going to cross ref this in bathrooms)

Comments (7)

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much scrappy25, that helps me allot. I just got off the phone with a local dealer that sells solatube and he gave me a price of 50 for the light. I might go ahead and do that, it will be one less hole in the ceiling. Decisions decisions....

• renovator8
    12 years ago

The 14" model has more than twice the daylight area of the 10" model and the rigid tube systems deliver many times more light than the flexible tube systems.

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Renovator8 do you think that a 14" would look too big and out of place in a 5 x 14 bathroom?

• finallyrenovating
    12 years ago

Scrappy 25: I'm glad to see a positive experience with these tubular skylights! Jjaazzy: did you put one in yet? Did you look at any other brands?

• jjaazzy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I was happy to see all the good reviews too. I believe I have pulled away from this idea. 1, The costs of this unit was getting quite high and was quickly becoming more money the I would have ever spent on electric even if I never turned the light out. Next, I have a good friend who's husband was a roofer and is now in lighting. We had a conversation the other day that has steered me away from the sky light. She said per her husband they are prone to leaks, and that they are putting in commercial LED lights in their house that run about the same cost but use hardly any electricity and you don't have the headaches of leaks in your roof. She tells me they will have the same light spectrum of natural light. I don't know when hers will be installed but she invited me to go take a look when they are in. The other issue I had was I am in a hurricane prone area and I have a barrel tile roof. And so you have it, the reason I never seen to be able to move swiftly through a project but that's ok. Done once, done right. No problem with that.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

The other issue I had was I am in a hurricane prone area and I have a barrel tile roof.
    I have a Solatube, and love the area being 'lit' naturally during all daylight hours, but don't think I would attempt it in your area, especially with the barrel tile roof. I doubt if it could even be installed to be worry free from leaks.

And so you have it, the reason I never seen to be able to move swiftly through a project but that's ok. Done once, done right. No problem with that.
    Right! I sometimes think that I 'over think things' but am usually glad I looked at the 'pluses and minuses' of the final outcome.