Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeystomach_gw

Bathroom Remodel Help

monkeystomach
13 years ago

Hi Guys!

So, I am finally starting to reconstruct everything that I have destroyed over the last few months and I need your help.

I have put the new tub in its place and I am not sure what to do about the gap. I have it flush with the studs on the back (long) side, and the right side where the drain is. There is one twisted stud that I will have to shave down and put a straight one beside it, but other than that, two of the three sides are looking good.

As you can see in the attached image(s), there is roughly a 1" gap on the left side of the tub. Now, I am not sure how to word the rest of this post so please forgive me.

I plan on waterproofing this alcove with Kerdi, and need your help with hanging the drywall.

Should I use furring strips to fill the 1" gap on the left side, and then use 1/4" furring strips on top of that for the drywall? If I do that method, should I then continue to fur all of the studs on that wall with 1.25" furring strip to make the wall flat? Since the right (drain) side is already flush, should I also continue to fur that whole wall with 1/4" furring strips in order to make everything flat?

Does that make sense? it does in my head?

I'm worried about the butt joints and recessed joints when I hang the drywall? what kind of layout should I use? Should I use a solid sheet of drywall to do the whole wall including the alcove? Should I try to avoid recessed joints around the tub?

Thanks,

Ed

Comments (2)

• jeffrow
    13 years ago

Ed,

If it was me I would not shim the walls at all other than your crooked stud.
    First, how is the tub to be attached? Are you setting it in mud? It looks like a Kohler Archer.

Using Kerdi I think you have a perfect fit right now. Drywall either down past the lip to self shim the tub or stop at the lip if it make the centering better re the faucet.

Kerdi down to 1/4" or so of the tub deck and Kerdi-fix. Tile, thinset and Kerdi will cover the slight bump-out at the tub lip and you won't have to worry about matching drywall.

• tim45z10
    13 years ago

First thing I would do is attach the drain. It may affect the position of the tub.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz